• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with stolen goods

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrees0401

Winter Haven FL
I had a work trailer stolen from my property. I reported it stolen on 12-24-2011. I never registered the trailor in my name as i was using it to store my tools since i wazs no longer on the road running service. The detective on my case recently asked me to go try to find the guys house who sold it to me so that he could look up the name and get the numbers off the trailor. When I found the guys house he told me that the tow company found the trailor and was trying charge him. I called the company and they told me that they had it and it was gonna be 500 or 600 dollars to get it out. I called the detective and he said he would look into it. This was tuesday. I called him today and he basically said that on the 23 of this month the owner auctioned the trailor off and bought it hisself. What rights do I have

Antigone*

Winter Haven FL
I had a work trailer stolen from my property. I reported it stolen on 12-24-2011. I never registered the trailor in my name as i was using it to store my tools since i wazs no longer on the road running service. The detective on my case recently asked me to go try to find the guys house who sold it to me so that he could look up the name and get the numbers off the trailor. When I found the guys house he told me that the tow company found the trailor and was trying charge him. I called the company and they told me that they had it and it was gonna be 500 or 600 dollars to get it out. I called the detective and he said he would look into it. This was tuesday. I called him today and he basically said that on the 23 of this month the owner auctioned the trailor off and bought it hisself. What rights do I have
You never legally owned the trailer. You have no recourse.

jrees0401

there is proof that I owned the trailor, have a reciept from the lady who sold it to me and the towing company contacted them becuase the trailor popped up in their name. They cant deny it was my trailor becuase I still had the original owners tag on it and I have talked to her about it. I still have nothing with all this.

Antigone*

there is proof that I owned the trailor, have a reciept from the lady who sold it to me and the towing company contacted them becuase the trailor popped up in their name. They cant deny it was my trailor becuase I still had the original owners tag on it and I have talked to her about it. I still have nothing with all this.
You never legally owned the trailer. If you had properly transferred the title, then you would have been notified and you would have had ample time to retrieve your property.

jrees0401

I find it absolutely appalling that my trailer was stolen, which had 30,000 dollars worth of tools and some Christmas presents and I'm absolutely out of luck. i can prove without a shadow of a doubt that this was my trailer. My wellbeing was in that trailer and on top of getting screwed by some piece of crap thief, our judicial system is such a joke that they cant even protect the innocence's rights.

Yes. The trailer was owned by you. The trailer was stolen from you while stored on your property. It has been located and you may need help from the police to recover it. No you do not need to re inburse the person that beleived they purchased it legally.
Good luck.

Antigone*

Yes. The trailer was owned by you. The trailer was stolen from you while stored on your property. It has been located and you may need help from the police to recover it. No you do not need to re inburse the person that beleived they purchased it legally.
Good luck.
I know you are insane, Jane, but you really must be off your meds today:eek:

jrees0401

I know you are insane, Jane, but you really must be off your meds today:eek:
I understand that you must deal with these things daily but I don't understand that if I have absolute proof that I owned this trailer how can it not be returned to me. Its stolen goods that is in someone else's possession.

Antigone*

I understand that you must deal with these things daily but I don't understand that if I have absolute proof that I owned this trailer how can it not be returned to me. Its stolen goods that is in someone else's possession.
If the trailer had been properly transferred into your name, you would have gotten the letter that the trailer had been found, not the original owners. Did you ever make the trip to the tax collector's office with the copy of the bill of sale?

jrees0401

Your obviously looking at this on the defense, the advise im seeking should address the simple fact that 1. I have PROOF of ownership, 2. the trailer is STOLEN (which both I can prove) how can I not be returned the only thing that was recovered. I am the victim and isnt our judicial system set up to protect the victim? How can the towing company do this in such a short time?

Antigone*

Your obviously looking at this on the defense, the advise im seeking should address the simple fact that 1. I have PROOF of ownership, 2. the trailer is STOLEN (which both I can prove) how can I not be returned the only thing that was recovered. I am the victim and isnt our judicial system set up to protect the victim? How can the towing company do this in such a short time?
Last time, and then I am done. Since the tow company could not notify you (since you failed to transfer ownership) they did what the law legally allows them to do when property is considered abandoned.

I'm sure you $30M worth of stuff was not in the trailer when it was recovered.

Had you taken care of business your story may have had a different ending. You can also protect your self from victimization from thieves by properly insuring your property as well.

jrees0401

My friends sister who is a lawyer just contacted me and told me that I CAN get my trailer back and that I DO have rights since it was stolen and I have proof.

Last edited by a moderator:

tranquility

You can't get your trailer back. Your suit would be with the one who stole it.

The statute she was pulling out her.....
(6) Any vehicle or vessel which is stored pursuant to subsection (2) and which remains unclaimed, or for which reasonable charges for recovery, towing, or storing remain unpaid, and any contents not released pursuant to subsection (10), may be sold by the owner or operator of the storage space for such towing or storage charge after 35 days from the time the vehicle or vessel is stored therein if the vehicle or vessel is more than 3 years of age or after 50 days following the time the vehicle or vessel is stored therein if the vehicle or vessel is 3 years of age or less. The sale shall be at public sale for cash. If the date of the sale was not included in the notice required in subsection (4), notice of the sale shall be given to the person in whose name the vehicle or vessel is registered and to all persons claiming a lien on the vehicle or vessel as shown on the records of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles or of the corresponding agency in any other state. Notice shall be sent by certified mail to the owner of the vehicle or vessel and the person having the recorded lien on the vehicle or vessel at the address shown on the records of the registering agency and shall be mailed not less than 15 days before the date of the sale. After diligent search and inquiry, if the name and address of the registered owner or the owner of the recorded lien cannot be ascertained, the requirements of notice by mail may be dispensed with. In addition to the notice by mail, public notice of the time and place of sale shall be made by publishing a notice thereof one time, at least 10 days prior to the date of the sale, in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the sale is to be held. The proceeds of the sale, after payment of reasonable towing and storage charges, and costs of the sale, in that order of priority, shall be deposited with the clerk of the circuit court for the county if the owner or lienholder is absent, and the clerk shall hold such proceeds subject to the claim of the owner or lienholder legally entitled thereto. The clerk shall be entitled to receive 5 percent of such proceeds for the care and disbursement thereof. The certificate of title issued under this law shall be discharged of all liens unless otherwise provided by court order. The owner or lienholder may file a complaint after the vehicle or vessel has been sold in the county court of the county in which it is stored. Upon determining the respective rights of the parties, the court may award damages, attorney's fees, and costs in favor of the prevailing party.

sandyclaus

I never registered the trailor in my name as i was using it to store my tools since i wazs no longer on the road running service.
HERE is the problem with owning the trailer. If you didn't register it, you will have difficulty proving legal ownership. Sure, with your bill of sale, you might be able to get it back (with a lot of effort). However, if you want to get it back from the registered owner NOW, you will end up having to reimburse them for whatever costs they incurred or paid to have the trailer now.

As for the tools, those are long gone. Unless you can prove they were STILL in the trailer when the registered owner recovered it from the storage, then you are out of luck on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">