• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help w/ dog breeding dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arivera306

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

I have a chihuahua stud that we breed every so often for some extra income (and I love to see how the pups turn out). The normal agreement for breeding is the stud's owners either receive the cost of one pup or pick of the litter.

In august, we had a female here and I made a verbal agreement over the phone w/ the owner that we would take the cost of one pup. We estimated that the pups would be sold for 500 a peice. I explained the whole process to her as she was not well informed on any of the details of breeding. She told me her dog was housetrained, so we took her in for the week, bred the dogs, and sent her home. While the dog was here, she urinated and deficated inside more than outside. We had to steam clean the carpets after. I almost asked her for that reimbursment, but decided to be nice and let it go.

Over the following months, we kept in touch through e-mails. I have all of these e-mails saved. I was very helpful through the process, and when I would e-mail her asking about the pups, she would respond telling me how they were doing. Then when it came time to sell the pups, she was very evasive. We had discussed selling them on craigslist.org or through the newspaper so we could better screen the buy. I told her I would help her through all of this. So 3 weeks after the pups should have been sold, with no e-mails from her, I e-mailed her asking about the pups being sold. She responded saying she sold them to a pet shop and where should she send the $500. I reminded her about the agreement of selling them privately, and that the cost was supposed to be the cost of one pup, not a flat rate. I know she got them for more than $500 a peice from the pet shop.

Now it's been over a month of me e-mailing her with absolutely no responses. I contacted her husband, he's ignoring me as well. They even changed their phone number! What should I do?? Also, if it makes a difference, her husband is military and they're living on base here. Please anyone with advice or info, let me know. I know I should have made a contract, but at that point I believed that they were good people and didn't think it was necessary.
thanks!

BelizeBreeze

Your verbal contract is worthless. When it comes time to register the pups, inform the AKC of what she did and withhold the pedigree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">