• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help on who to serve please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auntnana

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TN

To shorten a long story: I'm trying to get 7 weeks of regular pay I'm owed from 2002. The company is still in business - meaning they have an office and working telephone but no one there. I sweet-talked the landlord into telling me they've been paying the rent on time since 2003 so I know they have the money to pay me. Landlord says a guy comes in once a month just to write them their check. The guy who writes the check I'm 99.999% sure is a contract worker that retired before the company went kaput.Telephone is active as of today but no one to answer it. The Chairman of the Board is in Hong Kong so can't serve him. The registered agent resigned last year.

The amount is $3k which may seem like chump change to some, but for me it's a HUGE sum.

1) Can I have the secretary of State served?

2) If I can serve the SOS and WHEN I get judgement against them, can I have everything in their office seized or something until they pay me or can I have any accounts frozen?

Any advice appreciated!

S

seniorjudge

You really have not given us any info.

Who is it you want to serve?

If it is a corporation, then they must have a registered agent.

If it has no registered agent, ask SOS who you are supposed to serve.

auntnana

I checked the TN Sec of State website for a registered agent. This is the info I pulled up:

Business name: ****, Inc.
I.D. Number ****

7/19/2003: Certificate of Administrative revocation
4/21/2004: Resignation of agent

It is a corporation, but the registered agent is no longer listed, which I'm guessing is what the "resignation of agent" means.

The only person I know is still with the company is the Chairman, who emails me regularly from Hong Kong to tell me he's trying to raise money to get me paid. Well, it's been three years and I'm tired of waiting. If they can pay $650 a month in rent, they can pay me. But since the registered agent has resigned, I was just wanting to know if I could have the Secretary of State served.

Pay particular and specific attention to the Statute of Limitations in this case as well. It may be getting dangerously close to the window of opportunity for you to file a claim closing on you too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">