• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Legal Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brownhairedeby

What is the name of your state? California
Hi, I am just asking everybody's opinion on this... whether or not I should actually take my case to small claims. Here is the scenario.
I (18yrs male) had bought an older car (a 1992 Pontiac Firebird Formula) to fix up for fun and learn about cars with. I had taken it to a free shop where they repaired for free, and then brought it back home. A week or so later, I took it to a mechanic shop just to get an engine performance diagnostic on it, but the mechanic lured me into spending 2000$ to fix other things, like the radiator, alternator, etc. and I agreed, but only because he had said (and still does) that my engine was strong, and we would have no problems. 4 days later it overheated, so they charged another 300$ to fix something else, and then repeated the 'guarantee', saying that I would make it to Las Vegas and back if I wanted to. I then set out on a roadtrip, and my car's piston shattered, and completely destroyed my engine. They towed it, looked at it, and said that there was no way to predict this, and that it was my loss. He (the owner of the shop) stands by what he says about telling me that the engine would have no problems, because he says that there is no way to predict these things. I however didn't know this, and I felt like he said that to trick me into paying for an engine that is now worthless. His repairs are still fine, thats not the problem, but I never would have put money into this car if he had not guaranteed that the car would have no problems yaknow? Anyway, should I press this, or not?

Thanks alot...
[email protected]

B

Brownhairedeby

Oops

Forgot to add, I was thinking of (suing?) for the costs of repairs at the mechanic shop, and in return letting them keep the car as it is now useless to me, but that way they couldn't complain that they were losing parts or anything. They said their repairs are still good, so if they are, they can take them back!

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">