• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need a little advice..........

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carmaniac626

What is the name of your state? New York

I am currently in the process of being sued by an ex-friend with a unrelenting drive to make my life a living hell. Earlier this year i was out of work and was unable to afford the luxuries of going out to dinner and clubs and shopping with my friends. During this time the above mentioned friend offered to pay for these various things for the evident reason of wanting to be in my company. After about 3 months, i offered to pay her $150 which was roughly the amount in which she had paid for the various times spent together requiring money. She told me she didn't want my money and that she was helping me out. After a huge dispute and falling out, she approached me at my college classrooms on numerous occasions demanding i pay her a sum of $300 which she says was he correct calculation of monies lent. At that point i told her i was not going to pay her and to please not show up at my classroom anymore. She again showed up at my classroom 2 additional times each time requesting i pay her. She also insisted on another friend returning a book lent to her and used force, grabbing on to her clothes and pulling her to the side to further get her point across. Now i am being taken to small claims court and being sued for $350, an increased amount yet again she says i owe her. I do not want to pay her and would just like some advice on what i should and can do when in front of the judge to support my case. The letter from the court states in writing from her "from dec 2002 to april of 2003 i have lend money that total #350.00 to help pay phone bill and at one time to food to eat to go out at night, everyday stuff that total over $350.00" any advice would be appreciated, being 20 and sued in small claims court is not something i am proud to be dealing with. and being of such a young age i am un-familiar with legal proceedings. thanx

JETX

Since you really have no defense against her claims, what will happen is..... she will tell the court that the money she gave/loaned was promised to be repaid, you will say it wasn't. The court will then decide who 'wins'. Really pretty simple.....

Personally, I have seen these go both ways. One of the problems you will have (in my opinion) is 'why would she just give this money to you?'. Your statement that she did it because she wanted to be in 'your company' is very lame and may be enough (roll of the eyes!) to make the court more likely to believe her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">