• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BWH21

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hi everyone, I need a little help here.

Today I recieved a court summons. I am being sued by my former internet provider for $460. The court date is on the 18th.

I don't deny that I owe this amount, changed addresse, so I guess everything got mixed up.

This is the first time this has ever happend to me, so I had some questions.

1.) Can I work this out with the sueing lawyers so I don't have to go to court?

2.) I can't pay the full amount untill at least the end of the month, so can I make arrangments?

3.) If I can't get in touch with the lawyers, do I still have to go to court?

4.) If I do get in touch with the lawyers, do I still have to go to court?

5.) Do I need to contact my own laywer?

6.) This is being held in another county in Tennessee?

7.) What kind of judgements am I looking at?

8.) Can I go to jail over all this?

Any help would be greatly apercitated. Thanks everyone.

JETX

"Can I work this out with the sueing lawyers so I don't have to go to court?"
*** Since you already agree that you owe the money, you should consider contacting the creditor or attorney and try to negotiate a settlement. You will probably have to pay an additional amount to cover their legal expenses, but not near what it could cost if you lost in court.

"I can't pay the full amount untill at least the end of the month, so can I make arrangments?"
*** That is entirely up to the creditor.

"If I can't get in touch with the lawyers, do I still have to go to court?"
*** Again, since you don't dispute the claim, they will likely get a judgment against you whether you show or not. The only real issue is for how much. If you don't show, you won't have any chance to challenge the amount.

"If I do get in touch with the lawyers, do I still have to go to court?"
*** Not if you can reach a settlement first. If you do, then be sure that it includes a dismissal of the pending lawsuit.

"Do I need to contact my own laywer?"
*** Not really. You have no defense to assert.

" This is being held in another county in Tennessee?"
*** Okay.

"What kind of judgements am I looking at?"
*** Civil judgment for amount claimed.

"Can I go to jail over all this?"
*** No. However, if they do get a judgment against you and you fail to follow any court order (debtors exam, etc.), they could get a contempt of court order warrant against you. But, that is very unlikely. I only include it because you asked.

B

BWH21

Thank you so much JETX for the speedy response. Now I can sleep a little better tonight.
I'll call the lawyers Monday and see if I can work something out with them. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">