• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need some legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mzsugarpie

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

I was approaching the 2 year deadline to file the court papers so I filed them already.

About 2 years ago, I took my car to get repaired by a mechanic. I knew my it was my engine (my fault I confess) so he told me he could fix it rather than replace the engine. He took 2 weeks to diagnose, 1 month later to start working on it and 3 months later to finish it. I didn't drive the car til about a few weeks after I got it where in I noticed soon after that the car was leaking oil. Took it back to him where, a week later, the car would not even run. He said it was my fault that the car was dead (said I put 7 qts in it-which i didn't!) but could never explain to me why it was leaking in the first place. I was so mad by that point that I told him to not touch the car anymore and I'd tow it to my house.

Also, while he had the car the second time, I couldn't find my original receipt so I can see what repairs he did the first time. Had a friend pick up a copy from him since I couldn't get out of work in time. Well I found my original and compared it to the copy he gave. ON the copy, he wrote a little statement saying the block was bad -- which was NOT on the original receipt. All in all, he basically lied to me the entire time my car was in the shop (claiming parts didn't get ordered, said I said I didnt have the money to pay when I paid Half up front etc)

Ok ok.. blahblah. I would really like to retain a lawyer for this but everyone is saying rep myself since it will be $$ to get one. I need to know what other processes I would need to do before I show up for court? Anyone can help me out?

Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state?

JETX

I need to know what other processes I would need to do before I show up for court? Anyone can help me out?
Yep.
1) First you have to figure out what your LEGAL basis is for a claim.
2) Second, you have to bring whatever PROOF you have to support your legal claim to the court.

Ozark_Sophist

The tipoff is when the mechanic claims there were seven quarts in the engine. The extra volume is coolent leaking through the cracked block. Coolent works great where if it is where is supposed to be, but mixed with the oil it causes corrosion, leaks, and all kinds of nasties. Some times cracks are hard to see, especially without removing the engine from the vehicle for a floruoscope. Other times, it can be pretty obvious.

My bet would be the mechanic fixed something in the engine damaged as a result of coolent leaking through a cracked block, but did not notice the crack (covered himself later with the statement on the copy of the receipt). You said the damage to the engine was your fault, so I don't see any liability for the mechanic.

mzsugarpie

yeah it was my fault in the first place but he never told me when i picked up my car about the block or that there might be future problems.

and great. I now think i rushed too much into filing the claim.

how can i find out if what the legas basis is for the claim? And i also did try to locate a lawyer but seems next to impossible to find one who will take a small claims case. :(

tia

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">