• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DerrickMerch

Hello I am 17 years old from Westmorland County Pennsylvania. I need some legal advice, about 6 years ago I was given a settlement for pain and suffering for an injury I recieved. I found out recently that it was taken out of a savings account or some type of an account where it was suppossed to stay until I was 18. I found out that it was my step father who had taken it out and had bought vehicles with it. He and my mom are now in the process fo getting divorced. The settlement was 5000 dollars, which I was looking greatly to, so i could start off on my own once I turn 18. My question is what can I do? My mother and I have no money to hire an attorney. It was mentioned maybe pro bono could help? Also he was the one that took it out of the bank, but is there a way his high priced attorny could also get my mom in trouble if i were to go after this. He is a hateful man and would try any tactics to harm us. I really have no idea how to start this and what i should do. If pro bono is an option how to I apply. I know I have been wronged and really need this money to move out and start my life, yet im not sure what to do.

BL

Hello I am 17 years old from Westmorland County Pennsylvania. I need some legal advice, about 6 years ago I was given a settlement for pain and suffering for an injury I recieved. I found out recently that it was taken out of a savings account or some type of an account where it was suppossed to stay until I was 18. I found out that it was my step father who had taken it out and had bought vehicles with it. He and my mom are now in the process fo getting divorced. The settlement was 5000 dollars, which I was looking greatly to, so i could start off on my own once I turn 18. My question is what can I do? My mother and I have no money to hire an attorney. It was mentioned maybe pro bono could help? Also he was the one that took it out of the bank, but is there a way his high priced attorny could also get my mom in trouble if i were to go after this. He is a hateful man and would try any tactics to harm us. I really have no idea how to start this and what i should do. If pro bono is an option how to I apply. I know I have been wronged and really need this money to move out and start my life, yet im not sure what to do.
As far as pro bono you would contact the Bar Association .

Look here though :

http://www.nolo.com/siteIncludes/printerfriendly.cfm/objectID/4DB7013C-0A71-481F-836AB0FB247DB508/catID/D80CF756-DBF6-432D-B625E7D1A29183D0/104/308/273/FAQ/#7B921F26-B889-40D4-B335F4200B4BCE65

Why wasn't your mother keeping tabs on the account all these years ?

DerrickMerch

As far as pro bono you would contact the Bar Association .

Look here though :

http://www.nolo.com/siteIncludes/printerfriendly.cfm/objectID/4DB7013C-0A71-481F-836AB0FB247DB508/catID/D80CF756-DBF6-432D-B625E7D1A29183D0/104/308/273/FAQ/#7B921F26-B889-40D4-B335F4200B4BCE65

Why wasn't your mother keeping tabs on the account all these years ?
SHe knew right after it happened but it was an abusive relationship and she was afraid of him. I was never told because he always told her hed put the money back and she believed him

DerrickMerch

I looked at what was on the page and everything falls good except the time to file suit. It mentions
WRITTEN CONTRACT
ORAL CONTRACT
INJURY
PROPERTY DAMAGE
That it mentions and offers how man years i have to sue, the top being four. We had none of those it was stolen from me. With neither min or my mothers permision and bullied her into doing nothing. He would hit her and i dont blame her no amount of money in my opinion is worth seeing a family member hurt. She had a pfa on him to proof this point. My question is since its was stolen is that criminal or still small claims.

Last edited:

patstew

With neither min or my mothers permision and bullied her into doing nothing. He would hit her and i dont blame her no amount of money in my opinion is worth seeing a family member hurt. She had a pfa on him to proof this point. My question is since its was stolen is that criminal or still small claims.
I'd sure run it past the police department and see what they say. Bring your mom and all the paperwork you can get together, and see if it's reportable as a criminal act. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">