• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to sue Ex over repossed car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terramorph

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My ex-husband and I were divorced in August 2005. In the divorce papers that were filed in June, he agreed to be responsible for a car loan. I agreed to be responsible for the other one. Both cars are in our names. He let his get repossed, and I am listed as the Primary Buyer, so now they are trying to collect the $4000 from me. I've been told that I can sue him in small claims court for the money, but I know he doesn't have it. What I really want is for the Car Loan company to garnish his wages, not mine, if it comes down to it. So that I am not responsible for the loan any longer, or at least not liable to have my wages garnished for nonpayment. Can I do that, and if so, how?

racer72

Can I do that, and if so, how?
Nope. The only way out is to pay the note, sue the ex and you garnish his wages. The loan company was not a party to your divorce decree and does not have to abide by it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">