• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Needing help with a small claims case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Speakeasy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

About a year ago my friend came to me with an issue. He wanted to give his girlfriend a ring but did not have the money. He wanted me to see if I could get credit at a local jewelry shop. He said that he would pay double the payment every month. So I decided to help him out..he was one of my best friend at the time. He has paid less that 200 bucks on the ring and the bill is behind 1000 bucks. I have had to come out of pocket 300 bucks just to get them off my back. The jewelry store said that I could bring the ring back and they will credit the account...no harm done. But my friend refuses to give me the ring back. I was wondering if I could go to small claims court and get the money or the ring with out having a written and signed contract saying that he was going to pay it. I do have text and PMs from Facebook saying that he was going to pay it. I want to know before I go file paperwork.

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

About a year ago my friend came to me with an issue. He wanted to give his girlfriend a ring but did not have the money. He wanted me to see if I could get credit at a local jewelry shop. He said that he would pay double the payment every month. So I decided to help him out..he was one of my best friend at the time. He has paid less that 200 bucks on the ring and the bill is behind 1000 bucks. I have had to come out of pocket 300 bucks just to get them off my back. The jewelry store said that I could bring the ring back and they will credit the account...no harm done. But my friend refuses to give me the ring back. I was wondering if I could go to small claims court and get the money or the ring with out having a written and signed contract saying that he was going to pay it. I do have text and PMs from Facebook saying that he was going to pay it. I want to know before I go file paperwork.

Thanks
Go file the paperwork. Have you contacted his girlfriend and asked for the ring back due to the fact that he is a deadbeat?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">