• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Cut Down My Bushes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jake473

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My next door neighbor recently cut down several bushes in my yard. His stated reason was that they were too near the padmount electrical transformer box. This box is entirely on my property as are the bushes. No part of the bush extends over the property line.

I contacted the utility company who reported to me that they had received a call from him and did send someone out to check, but that the bushes did not require trimming.

I think he owes me compensation for the damage. I think I will probably win, but never see the money because of the collections laws protecting "exempt" property.

I just want there to be some kind of consequence so it may be worth it to me regardless. The filing fee is about $100.

Do I need to file a police report?

Should I file a police report and just skip the small claims? That may be enough of a consequence.

I plan to ask for him to pay me $50 for the damage instead of suing. Likely the answer will be no. The cost of replacing the bushes would be far more but I'm trying to make it an easy for him to say yes.

Thanks for any thoughts.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

you should have filed a police report long ago. You can try to file one now. They may simply decline to write one.

an attempt to negotiate a settlement does not preclude you from later seeking damages in court should the negotiations fail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">