• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Dispute regarding plants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moontigg

What is the name of your state? CA

My neighbor has neglected to care for bamboo plants that have continued to grow into my property, weaken the fence so I know require posts just to hold it up. I have left numerous notes and requests for him to take care of the bamboo to no avail. How do I get it taken care of? We do not have a good relationship and he does not talk to me and refuses to.
My sprinklers, fence and soon, electrical equipment will soon be affected.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

moontigg said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My neighbor has neglected to care for bamboo plants that have continued to grow into my property, weaken the fence so I know require posts just to hold it up. I have left numerous notes and requests for him to take care of the bamboo to no avail. How do I get it taken care of? We do not have a good relationship and he does not talk to me and refuses to.
My sprinklers, fence and soon, electrical equipment will soon be affected.

My response:

Ever heard of "RoundUp"?

Go to your garden center and ask for it. Buy it. Spray it on the bamboo.

In about 4 to 5 days thereafter, you'll write back to me, thanking me.

Problem solved.

IAAL

M

moontigg

round up

round up was unsuccessful. According to garden experts these plants are the hardest to remove. It requires removal below the surface of EVERY stock growing. Constant vigil for sprouting buds and IF you are successful at that, within in 1 year you are free from the propagating nightmare. Bamboo don't respond to round up or any other pesticide.

M

moontigg

Yes. I am not an idiot and perfectly capable of mnaging that. To send the messages you have been sending is insulting and irritating. I would not seek this type of action if I had not been dealing with this in the usual means - round up, shovel, etc....
I have for 7 years. The bulk of the problem starts on my neighbors side of the fence and I don't have permissions to go on his property to take care of the bamboo growth. I can only manage my side. The second issue is this property is a rental unit. I can't keep bothering my tenants to dig up bamboo.
I am asking for what actions I go through to show my neighbor that his lack of focus on the bamboo is a problem and since his plants are encroaching on my property and damaging my property, he needs to take action to resolve it. I am not looking for a smart ass to tell me how to use a shovel. Thanks for understanding.

C

coosi

The second issue is this property is a rental unit. I can't keep bothering my tenants to dig up bamboo.

These people are your tenants??

M

moontigg

I own the property where the bamboo is invading.
I have tenants that rent the house from me. I have had to visit the rental property on 4 separate occasions in 3 months to care for the rental unit and damages caused by the invading bamboo plant.

The unfriendly neighbor that owns the home next to my property has the bamboo plants in his yard.

I have in person and writing requested that he address the bamboo plants and overgrowth and the damage the plants are causing. The neighbor repeatedly ignores my request that the issue be addressed.

C

coosi

Are you looking for legal or horticultural solutions, or any?

http://invasivespecies.nbii.gov/faqs/faqs.html

4. I am trying to find out if I have any legal rights to ask my neighbor to pay for the eradication of the bamboo that has invaded my backyard. It is the yellow bamboo, which I've been told, is the most invasive variety of bamboo. It sends out runners across the yard sending up new tree shoots everywhere even in the middle of my lawn. Her back yard is entirely overrun with bamboo. There are only inches between the trees all the way up to her house. I also know that they are starting to invade the neighbor's yard on the other side of her as well. I live in Berkeley California.

I suggest you contact your local government to see if there may be an ordinance that protects property owners from damage caused by vegetation encroaching from neighbors. There is likely to be some sort of nuisance regulation in place at a local level. Their web site is http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/citycouncil/ If there is nothing the local government can do to help, you could contact your local biological extension service to see if they have suggestions for controlling the bamboo. There is also this Web page from the University of Georgia that has links to information on bamboo control. Good luck with your problem, and I hope you find a viable solution to it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">