• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor posting pictures of my personal mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lola2101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I can't even belive that we are even having to go through this type of thinking. We live in a town home community of 60 plus units...been here for a few years and never had an issue.
Last night my husband threw out the garbage last and said the bins were overflowing so there was no where to put the garbage....so along with other bags place it next to the dumpster. Well this woman who lives a few doors from us and across from the garbage shed decided to open up any bags that were next to the dumpster looking for names. She found an advertisement with our names on it, a perscription bag, and decided to make a flier using us an example about how people are not respectable to the garbage reciprocals and that this is reason why the skunks spray! She took a photos of the mail with our names and address on it and signed it your neighbor @ ***. She made multiple copies and taped it all over the garbage shed. My husband lost it and knocked on her door and she wouldn't answer. He ended up ripping the flier off and putting in on her windshield. We went out to dinner and before we went inside I made him go and check to see if she posted it again. Sure as anything she did but this time ripped off the area where she had signed it your neighbor @ ***. Guess she realized her info was on it.
We are obviously dealing with a woman has a lot of time on her hands. Our friend is a police officer and said that what she did is considered harrassment she since posted our personal information in a public setting.

Any thoughts on this? We already notified the board as well as the property manager. I don't want to check the dumpsters 50 times a day to remove a flier that ths crazy lady keeps putting back up. Any legal action we can take if need be?

Thank you!

I am sorry you're dealing with this, and I do have advice, though you may find it a bit unpalatable.

You're dealing with a passive-aggressive personality (likely a touch of inadequate, as well ~ IA personalities tend to see themselves as "heroes" for dealing with minute matters). While your option is as your police friend said: to file a report of harassment, I would craft a response and send it to her.

Nothing provocative, mind you. A short, friendly note thanking her for bringing the matter to your attention, your apology for mistakenly placing your trash within "skunk's way" and letting her know that, if need be, in the future, if she has a problem, she is more than welcome to leave a note at your door.

Essentially, you can disarm her with politeness and kindness. That doesn't ALWAYS work (she does sound a bit disturbed for rifling through your garbage), but more often than not, it would serve the purpose.

At least, that's what I would do.

lola2101

Thanks CB! I wish it was that easy with this nut. She must of spent hours creating this flier! No fliers were posted this morning, but I did notice her blinds were open a small amount dead in the middle...bet she is videotaping us now!

One of the board members wrote me back and told me he couldn't do anything until the property manager brought this to their attention.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">