• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor shooting dogs in our community

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TxMsLady

What is the name of your state?TX

OK...I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I know that this is actually a "nuisance" type matter, but that's not listed on the boards. Anyways, here's what's going on.

I live out in the country...about 15 miles out of town. I've lived here for 15 yrs. Behind my home is a large pasture with cattle belonging to an older woman whom I've been acquainted with since I've lived here. When her dogs would come to my home, I'd call her to let her know, and vice versa. There were never any problems about it. We've always agreed that if our dogs were causing any problems for one another that we'd call one another.

A few weeks ago, several of my friends and neighbors in this area began telling me that their dogs were coming up missing. One found her dog dead not far from her home shot by a 22 rifle. Another last week had her dog drag itself back home, but had a 22 bullet lodged in it's head, but it was still alive eating and drinking, so she took him to the vet. Then my dog came up missing last week as well. I have two, and neither are vicious. None of my dogs in the 15 yrs I've lived here have ever been. My gut feeling told me that it too had probably been shot.

Yesterday morning, my husband and I were outside on the porch and heard a 22 rifle being shot in the pasture behind us. We got up to see and saw the old woman's son out in the pasture with his pickup shooting at my neighbors dogs. He missed them. After calling my neighbors to let them know, five of us who have had our dogs shot decided to call the sheriffs office yesterday evening to file a report. They asked if any of us had an idea of who might be doing this. I told them what my husband and I witnessed yesterday morning. They visited the old womans son (an adult) who claimed that these dogs were killing his calves and confessed to shooting these dogs. There is no way in Hades that these dogs were attacking his cattle. We even witnessed him shooting at the neighbors dogs yesterday morning...no calves in sight. In this area, there are wolves, coyotes, and even large cats (mountain lions) that have been known to kill small animals. I grew up in the country and on a farm and we had cattle also, and I can say that we (nor anyone else we've ever known) have ever had problems with dogs attacking the calves....and surely not a dozen of them! When I hear coyotes in packs some nights, I'll get up to see to it that my animals outside are safe. These are the culprits.

What can be done? Anything? This is a man that is cold hearted. For example, last year while working in the yard, I saw him dragging a cow behind his truck through ravines, mud, ect....I thought it was dead until he pulled it behind the tree line right behind our home and then heard him shoot it! That cow was alive while he was dragging it! That's inhumane. He's had a practice of hauling ALL of their dead cattle over the years behind the tree line close to our house. It's horrible to smell!

I'd appreciate any advice that can be given. I know it might seem a trivial, and maybe even a funny matter to some on here. I hope not. Please respond and let me know if this is a case that should be brought into court of some kind.

Thank you,
TxMsLady

dogwood said:
contact your local humane society?This has to be illegal. Oh how cruel..
Cruel only if any of these dogs are not harassing or threatening the cattle or persons on the lands of property owners other than the dog(s)' owners.

This would take a very fact specific instance, and proof to back it up. Shooting of dogs arbitrarily cannot be legally done. Proof that it was not arbitrary would be your obstacle.

JETX

TxMsLady said:
What can be done?
Texas law (Health and Safety Code) allows a person to kill a dog or coyote that attacks other animals. A copy of the specific statute follows:
§ 822.013. DOGS[0] OR COYOTES THAT ATTACK ANIMALS.
(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently
attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:
(1) any person witnessing the attack; or
(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.
(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.
(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.
(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.
(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or oyote under this section.

Source: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/hs.toc.htm

Since the shooter is claiming exemption (presumably under the above statute), your only real recourse is to get the neighbors to all signa a petition and/or affidavit on the facts and submit to the sheriff.

TxMsLady

TX

Thank you JETX. Wish we were able to back this by video. It's sickening to me that it's his word over everyone elses. When we first moved here years ago, the man's dad (who is now deceased) came driving up to the fence line beside where my husband was out doing yard work, and because my husbands hair was shoulder length at the time, he asked accusingly, "SO...are you the one that's been butchering my cows out in the field?"!! Good grief! No! Of course, this didn't go over well with my husband! Before leaving, the man yelled back at him that he "expects" him to keep that fence line clear since we just moved here! Hell...it was his fence! Seems his son is an old chip off the old block as far as personality goes!

It's a shame that 1/2 our area feels that can't own a dog now for fear of it crossing over the fenced pasture...and that the man has them in his sites if they do. A bit trigger happy! In the country, there is no "leash law" that I'm aware or that they have to be contained in a pen unless they are vicious....and I wouldn't want a dog like that. I have small grandchildren here too often. Dogs know no boundaries. This has really been upsetting. Of all the times that neighbor's dog has been here harrassing my horse, dogs and cats. It's what dogs do, but I didn't shoot at it. I did, however, call her a couple of years ago when it had my horse cornered in it's stall. I'll see what the neighbors want to do on this, but I just don't want to feel that I can never own a dog for fear of it getting shot since I'm alone out in these woods much of the time. Thanks again for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">