• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's dog attacked my cat--can I sue for the vet bill?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soccermom26

What is the name of your state? CA

My cat was attacked outside my house by my neighbor's dog. The dog chased the cat across the street and mauled her. My neighbor notified us herself that her dog attacked my cat. Our cat needed surgery to survive and cost us 3.2K. I do not know what prompted the dog to attack the cat and I know the dog was not on a leash. Do I have a case to sue for the vet bill? I have not spoken to the neighbor since this happened in November.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Additionally, this incident should be reported to the local animal control agency.

fairisfair

My cat was attacked outside my house by my neighbor's dog. The dog chased the cat across the street and mauled her. My neighbor notified us herself that her dog attacked my cat. Our cat needed surgery to survive and cost us 3.2K. I do not know what prompted the dog to attack the cat and I know the dog was not on a leash. Do I have a case to sue for the vet bill? I have not spoken to the neighbor since this happened in November.
Was the cat on a leash??

Have you checked your city/state/municipal codes to see if you have the same responsibility to keep YOUR animal contained as does a dog owner??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Was the cat on a leash??

Have you checked your city/state/municipal codes to see if you have the same responsibility to keep YOUR animal contained as does a dog owner??
That is a good point. In MY municipality, cats are NOT required to be on a leash.

A couple of years ago, my cat was killed by a dog on my front porch. The dog (a stray pit-bull) was impounded and, after a time, destroyed. Our local animal control agency said that, if the owner was found, they would be cited for an animal at large, which had a MANDATORY court appearance.

HomeGuru

**A: yes you have a case. Next time get a lion for a cat and you should not have this same problem in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">