• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The neighbors falsely accused our dogs of killing chickens and shot them.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaza

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
Hello. I have a bit of a story to tell, and I will try to keep it from being too confusing. My family had 2 dogs. One named Odin, who is very sweet, lovable and shy, and Buddy, who was a bit of a hunter, and a little more hyper. June 26th of this year, a neighbor who lives 1 mile down the road (we live 7 miles from town) came to the door and told me that Odin had killed 10 of their "show" chickens. He stated that he saw Odin walking down the road, away from their house with muddy paws and that is how he knew it was him. (we were in the middle of a flood, and there was mud everywhere, not just near their chicken coop) I should also add, that ALL of our neighbors have dogs. We have counted 11 dogs in the area, most of them free roaming, and most of them live closer than we do to the accusor. I was very shocked that Odin (the sweet one who does not like to hunt) would hurt their chickens. I apologized profusely and asked what we owed them. He said he would send his wife by when she got home and we could settle it. 2 hours later, his wife stops by and informs me that it was in fact 22 chickens that were dead, and gives me a quote for the cost. It was reasonable, around $160.00. I expressed to her that I did not think that Odin would kill the chickens, but that Buddy might have, and she then says that it was BOTH dogs, not just one like her husband had told me. Her husband stated he saw the dog on the road walking away from his house, but she states that both dogs were there, and one of them left with a chicken in its mouth. My dogs had white mouths, and I could find no blood anywhere, and neither came home with a chicken in mouth.
This is where it starts to get confusing. I am a professional photographer, and said neighbor had asked me about pricing a time or two in the past. The day she gave me the quote for the chickens, she also asked if I would be willing to give her a credit with my business instead of cash for the chickens, so she could have her daughters Senior portraits done. I told her that I would consider it, but that if my homeowners insurance would cover the damage done by our dog, then I would let them pay it. On June 29th, I text her and told her "Good news, my insurance will cover the cost of replacing your chickens, all they need is pictures as proof that they are in fact dead, and a receipt, or quote from a breeder on the replacement cost" She text me back telling me they had thrown all the chickens in a creek (can we say illegal!!) and had not taken pictures, and started demanding I tell her who my insurance agent is, and that she will contact them personally. I told her, that is not how it works, I will give her information to them, and they will contact her ask her to send the proof if she wants paid. She then stops replying, and calls the Sheriff. He shows up and tells me she has requested my dogs be taken and put to sleep. He states that since there are no dead chickens to be seen as proof, that he will not do anything, but asks us to keep our dogs away from their yard. She text me after he left and said "since the sheriff will not do anything, and you refuse to pay without pictures given to insurance, next time we see your dogs, we will handle it the way the law allows and move on." implying that she would shoot them.

The next day, she and her husband start driving by our house, 5 to 6 times a day for over a week. We have lived her for 3 years, and have NEVER seen them come this way, as they are right beside the highway and can access it much easier going the opposite direction of our house. We got the feeling they were trying to run over our dogs. Around the beginning of July, Buddy (the ornery dog) went missing. We looked for him for a few days, and another neighbors son told us that the neighbors with chickens had shot him, while he was not even on their property. We let it go. We believed it was possible that Buddy had eaten some of their chickens, and the Sheriff had told us to keep him close to home, and we tried, but he got out and so we did not feel we could do much about it without causing a ton of drama.

Fast forward to September 16th. We wake up and find Odin is missing. Now Odin is a scaredy cat, and barely leaves the porch. He cuddles with our cats, and tries to nurse the kittens. He has NO interest in hunting or playing rough. He is just an all around sweet, gentle soul. At first, I thought he had followed an atv that some tree trimmers were driving, and couldnt find his way home. So myself and children looked for the whole day on the 16th. On the morning of the 17th, I drove around for 2 hours, and finally had a gut feeling in my stomach that he did not just get lost. I decided to text the woman with the chickens and ask her flat out if they had shot our 2nd dog. She replied that yes, he was caught in the act on the 15th, killing 4 chickens, and they shot him on spot. The problem is, Odin was HOME on the night of the 15th and stayed in the house overnight. My husband let him out at 5am the next morning, and by 8am he was missing. I beleive her chickens may have been killed on the 15th, but our dog was not shot until the next day, telling me that they did not in fact "shoot him during the act". I asked her why they did not notify me that they shot him, and if they had his body, and she refused to answer why they didnt notify us, but stated that they did have his body, in a black trashbag on their property, and that we could come get him if we want (2 hot days later). I asked her if she had any proof of the dead chickens, and she proceeds to tell me that they have had a total of 53 chickens come up missing since June 26th, all show chickens, and all due to my dogs and that they do not need proof, it is an ongoing problem, and they had every right to shoot them. A couple facts I should mention- They have a coop that is MAYBE 6x6ft with no windows. They claim the chickens free range, but they are show chickens so that doesnt seem right to me. They also have a very large, open yard, un-fenced and free of trees and I have never seen more than 1 or 2 chickens there, much less 53. They also have a neighbor whose property directly borders theirs who has a dog known to bite and be mean. I do not believe for a second that my dog killed their chickens.

From what I have read of Missouri law, if our dogs did in fact kill their chickens, they did have every right to shoot him. BUT I do NOT believe it was our dogs, nor do I believe most of her story. I also do not believe she ever had that many "show" chickens just running free in the country. I think that she originally may have had a few chickens go missing, but elaborated it trying to get me to give her free Senior portraits for her daughter, and when I asked for proof of the dead chickens, she got mad and refused to provide it (probably because there were no dead chickens, or not nearly as many as she claimed). I feel that after this, they killed our dogs purely out of spite. My children have lost 2 dogs now, and our family is heartbroken. We do not feel we can ever get another outside dog, as we feel they will just kill it for sport if it ever leaves our property. Is there ANYTHING that can be done? Would we even have a case in small claims court? Would they make her provide proof of the dead chickens she is claiming to have had?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

adjusterjack

Why did you write "falsely accused" and later write "if our dogs killed the chickens."

You really don't know if they did or didn't, do you?

I just caught that contradiction. I didn't read the rest of it because it's way too long.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
Hello. I have a bit of a story to tell, and I will try to keep it from being too confusing. My family had 2 dogs. One named Odin, who is very sweet, lovable and shy, and Buddy, who was a bit of a hunter, and a little more hyper. June 26th of this year, a neighbor who lives 1 mile down the road (we live 7 miles from town) came to the door and told me that Odin had killed 10 of their "show" chickens. He stated that he saw Odin walking down the road, away from their house with muddy paws and that is how he knew it was him. (we were in the middle of a flood, and there was mud everywhere, not just near their chicken coop) I should also add, that ALL of our neighbors have dogs. We have counted 11 dogs in the area, most of them free roaming, and most of them live closer than we do to the accusor. I was very shocked that Odin (the sweet one who does not like to hunt) would hurt their chickens. I apologized profusely and asked what we owed them. He said he would send his wife by when she got home and we could settle it. 2 hours later, his wife stops by and informs me that it was in fact 22 chickens that were dead, and gives me a quote for the cost. It was reasonable, around $160.00. I expressed to her that I did not think that Odin would kill the chickens, but that Buddy might have, and she then says that it was BOTH dogs, not just one like her husband had told me. Her husband stated he saw the dog on the road walking away from his house, but she states that both dogs were there, and one of them left with a chicken in its mouth. My dogs had white mouths, and I could find no blood anywhere, and neither came home with a chicken in mouth.
This is where it starts to get confusing. I am a professional photographer, and said neighbor had asked me about pricing a time or two in the past. The day she gave me the quote for the chickens, she also asked if I would be willing to give her a credit with my business instead of cash for the chickens, so she could have her daughters Senior portraits done. I told her that I would consider it, but that if my homeowners insurance would cover the damage done by our dog, then I would let them pay it. On June 29th, I text her and told her "Good news, my insurance will cover the cost of replacing your chickens, all they need is pictures as proof that they are in fact dead, and a receipt, or quote from a breeder on the replacement cost" She text me back telling me they had thrown all the chickens in a creek (can we say illegal!!) and had not taken pictures, and started demanding I tell her who my insurance agent is, and that she will contact them personally. I told her, that is not how it works, I will give her information to them, and they will contact her ask her to send the proof if she wants paid. She then stops replying, and calls the Sheriff. He shows up and tells me she has requested my dogs be taken and put to sleep. He states that since there are no dead chickens to be seen as proof, that he will not do anything, but asks us to keep our dogs away from their yard. She text me after he left and said "since the sheriff will not do anything, and you refuse to pay without pictures given to insurance, next time we see your dogs, we will handle it the way the law allows and move on." implying that she would shoot them.
Illegal? Really? What about you allowing your dogs to wander and not keeping them leashed? That is what responsible pet owners would have done.

The next day, she and her husband start driving by our house, 5 to 6 times a day for over a week. We have lived her for 3 years, and have NEVER seen them come this way, as they are right beside the highway and can access it much easier going the opposite direction of our house. We got the feeling they were trying to run over our dogs. Around the beginning of July, Buddy (the ornery dog) went missing. We looked for him for a few days, and another neighbors son told us that the neighbors with chickens had shot him, while he was not even on their property. We let it go. We believed it was possible that Buddy had eaten some of their chickens, and the Sheriff had told us to keep him close to home, and we tried, but he got out and so we did not feel we could do much about it without causing a ton of drama.
So you were an irresponsible pet owner.

Fast forward to September 16th. We wake up and find Odin is missing. Now Odin is a scaredy cat, and barely leaves the porch. He cuddles with our cats, and tries to nurse the kittens. He has NO interest in hunting or playing rough. He is just an all around sweet, gentle soul. At first, I thought he had followed an atv that some tree trimmers were driving, and couldnt find his way home. So myself and children looked for the whole day on the 16th. On the morning of the 17th, I drove around for 2 hours, and finally had a gut feeling in my stomach that he did not just get lost. I decided to text the woman with the chickens and ask her flat out if they had shot our 2nd dog. She replied that yes, he was caught in the act on the 15th, killing 4 chickens, and they shot him on spot. The problem is, Odin was HOME on the night of the 15th and stayed in the house overnight. My husband let him out at 5am the next morning, and by 8am he was missing. I beleive her chickens may have been killed on the 15th, but our dog was not shot until the next day, telling me that they did not in fact "shoot him during the act". I asked her why they did not notify me that they shot him, and if they had his body, and she refused to answer why they didnt notify us, but stated that they did have his body, in a black trashbag on their property, and that we could come get him if we want (2 hot days later). I asked her if she had any proof of the dead chickens, and she proceeds to tell me that they have had a total of 53 chickens come up missing since June 26th, all show chickens, and all due to my dogs and that they do not need proof, it is an ongoing problem, and they had every right to shoot them. A couple facts I should mention- They have a coop that is MAYBE 6x6ft with no windows. They claim the chickens free range, but they are show chickens so that doesnt seem right to me. They also have a very large, open yard, un-fenced and free of trees and I have never seen more than 1 or 2 chickens there, much less 53. They also have a neighbor whose property directly borders theirs who has a dog known to bite and be mean. I do not believe for a second that my dog killed their chickens.
Yes but their chickens are not on your property. YOUR dogs are not on your property. They are roaming free. You may not believe your dog killed their chickens but your dog was not leashed on your property and their chickens were killed.
From what I have read of Missouri law, if our dogs did in fact kill their chickens, they did have every right to shoot him. BUT I do NOT believe it was our dogs, nor do I believe most of her story. I also do not believe she ever had that many "show" chickens just running free in the country. I think that she originally may have had a few chickens go missing, but elaborated it trying to get me to give her free Senior portraits for her daughter, and when I asked for proof of the dead chickens, she got mad and refused to provide it (probably because there were no dead chickens, or not nearly as many as she claimed). I feel that after this, they killed our dogs purely out of spite. My children have lost 2 dogs now, and our family is heartbroken. We do not feel we can ever get another outside dog, as we feel they will just kill it for sport if it ever leaves our property. Is there ANYTHING that can be done? Would we even have a case in small claims court? Would they make her provide proof of the dead chickens she is claiming to have had?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
YOur children are heartbroken because YOU were NOT RESPONSIBLE pet owners. If you don't want to be responsible for your animals and keep them leashed and on your property, DO NOT HAVE THEM. What are you going to sue for? The fact that you were negligent in keeping your dogs on your property?

kaza

Why did you write "falsely accused" and later write "if our dogs killed the chickens."

You really don't know if they did or didn't, do you?

I just caught that contradiction. I didn't read the rest of it because it's way too long.

Okay, well I am sorry that it was so long, but it is a very complicated story. Yes I believe that they falsely accused our dogs. And yes I stated that IF our dogs had in fact killed their chickens they had every right, but there was a "BUT" after that.

You are right, I do not know 100% for certain, but they will provide NO proof of even owning the chickens, much less that our dog was on their property. I truly do not believe our dog did this, and I feel that it is murderous and vengeful what they did. Maybe I should have worded it that they "may have" falsely accused our dogs. Sorry for any confusion.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Okay, well I am sorry that it was so long, but it is a very complicated story. Yes I believe that they falsely accused our dogs. And yes I stated that IF our dogs had in fact killed their chickens they had every right, but there was a "BUT" after that.

You are right, I do not know 100% for certain, but they will provide NO proof of even owning the chickens, much less that our dog was on their property. I truly do not believe our dog did this, and I feel that it is murderous and vengeful what they did. Maybe I should have worded it that they "may have" falsely accused our dogs. Sorry for any confusion.
But your dog also wasn't on your property. Where your dog should have been properly restrained.

kaza

Illegal? Really? What about you allowing your dogs to wander and not keeping them leashed? That is what responsible pet owners would have done.

So you were an irresponsible pet owner.

Yes but their chickens are not on your property. YOUR dogs are not on your property. They are roaming free. You may not believe your dog killed their chickens but your dog was not leashed on your property and their chickens were killed.

YOur children are heartbroken because YOU were NOT RESPONSIBLE pet owners. If you don't want to be responsible for your animals and keep them leashed and on your property, DO NOT HAVE THEM. What are you going to sue for? The fact that you were negligent in keeping your dogs on your property?
Ma'am. If you read my whole post, you would see that they shot our first dog, Buddy when it was NOT on their property. And I do not believe that our second dog was shot on their property either. We have an adjoining neighbor who we are both friendly with, who has a dog, that comes to our yard to play with our dogs, and our dogs go to their yard. This adjoining neighbor and us are friendly, and have no issue with our dogs keeping their dog company. This other neighbors property is where our first dog was shot, according to their son, and I believe our second was shot there as well. I do not believe my dog was EVER on their property or harming their chickens.

You can call me an irresponsible dog owner if you would like. But we live out in the middle of the boonies. NO ONE keeps their dogs chained out here. There are 3 houses in a 2 mile radius. All the dogs get along and all of them visit each other and play in the mornings in the fields between properties. I loved my dogs very much and they were well cared for. To me, it is loving to let them roam if they stay close by, and would be negligence to force a dog, whos nature is to run and play, to stay leashed up 24/7. We let them out in the daytime yes, but always keep them put up at night. I have NEVER seen my dog go any further than the field that separates us, although I will admit it is possible. I am just asking, if according to law, they have the right to shoot without proof. Because what I read of Missouri law, is a little confusing. It states that if a neighboring dog attacks "sheep or other domestic animals, they can be shot DURING the act only" Their chickens came up dead Tuesday the 15th, our dog was not shot until Wednesday the 16th.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ma'am. If you read my whole post, you would see that they shot our first dog, Buddy when it was NOT on their property. And I do not believe that our second dog was shot on their property either. We have an adjoining neighbor who we are both friendly with, who has a dog, that comes to our yard to play with our dogs, and our dogs go to their yard. This adjoining neighbor and us are friendly, and have no issue with our dogs keeping their dog company. This other neighbors property is where our first dog was shot, according to their son, and I believe our second was shot there as well. I do not believe my dog was EVER on their property or harming their chickens.

You can call me an irresponsible dog owner if you would like. But we live out in the middle of the boonies. NO ONE keeps their dogs chained out here. There are 3 houses in a 2 mile radius. All the dogs get along and all of them visit each other and play in the mornings in the fields between properties. I loved my dogs very much and they were well cared for. To me, it is loving to let them roam if they stay close by, and would be negligence to force a dog, whos nature is to run and play, to stay leashed up 24/7. We let them out in the daytime yes, but always keep them put up at night. I have NEVER seen my dog go any further than the field that separates us, although I will admit it is possible. I am just asking, if according to law, they have the right to shoot without proof. Because what I read of Missouri law, is a little confusing. It states that if a neighboring dog attacks "sheep or other domestic animals, they can be shot DURING the act only" Their chickens came up dead Tuesday the 15th, our dog was not shot until Wednesday the 16th.
You have NO RIGHT to let your dog roam free. Unless you saw when the dog was shot, you don't know where it was. You can not believe all you want but quite frankly, if you had been taking care of your dogs as you should have been, this would not have be an issue. Instead you decided not to be responsible and protect your animals by keeping them restrained in your yard. And it is not negligence to leash a dog. If you choose to have an outdoor animal, that is another sign of your negligence and irresponsibility. You could fence your yard so they can roam a bit but safely. Again, you have not claim against the neighbors because your dogs ran free and their chickens died. Why don't you try to see how you are WRONG in this situation and take responsibility for your own actions.

quincy

Your dogs Buddy and Odin were shot after you were warned by your neighbors that they would be shot. Despite the warning, you still did not keep your dogs on your property and under your control.

Following is a link to Missouri's dog laws so you can see for yourself that you seem to have very little to support any legal action against your neighbors and they seem to have support for taking legal action against you. They have dead chickens, your dogs were seen on their property, your trespassing dogs were reported to authorities, you accepted blame by contacting your insurance company, and your dogs were later said by the neighbors to have been shot on their property.

The law does not quite say what you think it says. The standard of proof in Missouri for killing dogs is a preponderance of the evidence, a more-likely-than-not proof. I think the evidence is stacked against you but, if what you say is true, the neighbors apparently have no photos of dead chickens and you have a witness who says that at least one of your dogs was on their property when shot. So there is that.

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/mo-dogs-consolidated-dog-laws

Last edited:

kaza

Your dogs Buddy and Odin were shot after you were warned by your neighbors that they would be shot. Despite the warning, you still did not keep your dogs on your property and under your control.

Following is a link to Missouri's dog laws so you can see for yourself that you seem to have very little to support any legal action against your neighbors and they seem to have support for taking legal action against you. They have dead chickens, your dogs were seen on their property, your trespassing dogs were reported to authorities, you accepted blame by contacting your insurance company, and your dogs were later said by the neighbors to have been shot on their property.

The law does not quite say what you think it says. The standard of proof in Missouri for killing dogs is a preponderance of the evidence, a more-likely-than-not proof. I think the evidence is stacked against you but, if what you say is true, the neighbors apparently have no photos of dead chickens and you have a witness who says that at least one of your dogs was on their property when shot. So there is that.

Thank you for the link. And for the response. I maybe should have simplified my original post and included some things I didn't. I have already read that article you posted, and maybe I am confused but here is what I am getting at
Part 1 does not apply to my situation, he has never bitten anyone nor been accused. Part 2 does apply, and states they have to have made 2 prior calls to law enforcement. But they have not contacted law enforcement twice, only once. And when they contacted law enforcement the first and only time, the Sheriff stated that there was no proof our dog was even on their property and he did not ticket us. They themselves stated they did NOT see him on their property, but on the road walking away from their property. They had been gone from the home for the day and returned to dead chickens, 10 according to the husband, and 22 according to the wife. They stated that they saw our dog (Odin) walking down the road and assumed he was the one who killed the chickens. (they later changed their story to tell us it was both dogs and one had a chicken in his mouth when we told them we did not think our dogs did it) We in fact, believed our dogs to be in our own yard at the time they accused them of being a mile down the road. There was an hour period where they were unattended, but when the husband showed up to tell me about their chickens, our dogs were asleep on the porch, same as I had left them an hour prior. I do realize they COULD have left during that hour, but I am skeptical that they left our home, traveled a mile East, killed 22 chickens, walked a mile back home, and were back sleeping on the porch without a trace of blood or feathers.
We DO NOT believe our dog was ever on their property! I know this sounds far fetched, but we think they chose to blame our dog, and try to get money out of us, for chickens that did not EVEN EXIST. There are two other neighbors on the other side of them, who have given them money for dead chickens in previous years after having their dog blamed. We are the newest neighbor/target. They refuse to show any kind of proof of even owning the chickens, much less them being dead. No bodies, no pictures. They refused to give us any kind of official quote for the cost of lost chickens, only what she came up with in her head. Then she got mad when we asked for these things, and called the sheriff asking him to take our dogs from us. Even the sheriff could tell something didn't add up. They did not provide pictures or proof of dead chickens to the Sheriff either and our dogs were still on the porch sleeping when he was here. They literally have a 6x6 chicken coop, with no windows, and are claiming 53 chickens dead over the summer, yet there have not been more than a couple chickens running in their yard at any given time. They are claiming these chickens are high dollar show chickens, yet have no receipts, or photos of them. No proof they existed. They have now shot both of our dogs, for killing chickens we do not believe exist. Our dogs were likely not even shot on their property (we believe the other neighbors son had no reason to make this up) It is a scam. And I realize that I could have been more responsible with my dogs, and I will regret that to no end. I truly loved them and we tried to keep them happy. And for a dog, nothing makes them happier than being able to run a little bit. I will NEVER have another outdoors dog again after all of this. I am not trying to keep blame from my dogs, or cover for anything they did. At first, I was appalled thinking my dogs would do this and immediately offered to make it right. Only when the stories kept changing, and she started trying to get me to give her photo credits, and refused to show any sort of proof of said dead chickens, did I start questioning her motives.

quincy

Thank you for the link. And for the response. I maybe should have simplified my original post and included some things I didn't. I have already read that article you posted, and maybe I am confused but here is what I am getting at
Part 1 does not apply to my situation, he has never bitten anyone nor been accused. Part 2 does apply, and states they have to have made 2 prior calls to law enforcement. But they have not contacted law enforcement twice, only once. And when they contacted law enforcement the first and only time, the Sheriff stated that there was no proof our dog was even on their property and he did not ticket us. They themselves stated they did NOT see him on their property, but on the road walking away from their property. They had been gone from the home for the day and returned to dead chickens, 10 according to the husband, and 22 according to the wife. They stated that they saw our dog (Odin) walking down the road and assumed he was the one who killed the chickens. (they later changed their story to tell us it was both dogs and one had a chicken in his mouth when we told them we did not think our dogs did it) We in fact, believed our dogs to be in our own yard at the time they accused them of being a mile down the road. There was an hour period where they were unattended, but when the husband showed up to tell me about their chickens, our dogs were asleep on the porch, same as I had left them an hour prior. I do realize they COULD have left during that hour, but I am skeptical that they left our home, traveled a mile East, killed 22 chickens, walked a mile back home, and were back sleeping on the porch without a trace of blood or feathers.
We DO NOT believe our dog was ever on their property! I know this sounds far fetched, but we think they chose to blame our dog, and try to get money out of us, for chickens that did not EVEN EXIST. There are two other neighbors on the other side of them, who have given them money for dead chickens in previous years after having their dog blamed. We are the newest neighbor/target. They refuse to show any kind of proof of even owning the chickens, much less them being dead. No bodies, no pictures. They refused to give us any kind of official quote for the cost of lost chickens, only what she came up with in her head. Then she got mad when we asked for these things, and called the sheriff asking him to take our dogs from us. Even the sheriff could tell something didn't add up. They did not provide pictures or proof of dead chickens to the Sheriff either and our dogs were still on the porch sleeping when he was here. They literally have a 6x6 chicken coop, with no windows, and are claiming 53 chickens dead over the summer, yet there have not been more than a couple chickens running in their yard at any given time. They are claiming these chickens are high dollar show chickens, yet have no receipts, or photos of them. No proof they existed. They have now shot both of our dogs, for killing chickens we do not believe exist. Our dogs were likely not even shot on their property (we believe the other neighbors son had no reason to make this up) It is a scam. And I realize that I could have been more responsible with my dogs, and I will regret that to no end. I truly loved them and we tried to keep them happy. And for a dog, nothing makes them happier than being able to run a little bit. I will NEVER have another outdoors dog again after all of this. I am not trying to keep blame from my dogs, or cover for anything they did. At first, I was appalled thinking my dogs would do this and immediately offered to make it right. Only when the stories kept changing, and she started trying to get me to give her photo credits, and refused to show any sort of proof of said dead chickens, did I start questioning her motives.
What will matter in court is evidence. Whoever's evidence is more convincing will be successful with their suit.

If the neighbors cannot prove they have dead chickens, that works against them. If the neighbors cannot prove your dogs were on their property, that works against them.

But you admit your dogs roam free and you do not know where they roam. The odds are pretty good that your dogs have been on the neighbors' property.

Speak with an attorney in your area - one well-versed in animal laws - to see where you stand legally. I do not see that you have a legal action to pursue against your neighbors but I see that they might have a legitimate one to take against you.

I am sorry about your dogs, kaza. Pet deaths are always sad. If you decide to have pets in the future, though, I hope you will seriously consider keeping them restrained and under your control. Although dogs and cats love to roam, they also like to be alive.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">