• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's grading caused my foundation to crack

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ARB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I'm in a townhouse. Currently I have two cracks on two separate walls of my foundation. The grading on my neighbor's house is such that water is diverted towards my house.
She also left her hose on for three weeks. (I was on vacation).
We are on a hill. She is uphill from me and has refused to add soil to keep her property graded properly.
Two years ago she called the police on my because I added draintile to her downspout which had nothing under it to divert the water away from (both) her and my house. Two years ago the water from her house washed out my landscaping wall. I have pictures documenting the washed out wall.
The police documented the downspout problem.
Because she left her hose on and the land isn't graded properly I have two cracks in my foundation.

I have paid more than $4000.00 to fix my basement. She refuses to fix the grading. I have offered to help. I have offered to use my truck to get soil to fix the problem. She laughs at me.
Do I have a chance of winning in small claims court.
Do I need to hire a lawyer?

cosine

You also need an engineer who can assess the damages, causes, and specify how to repair and prevent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">