• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never Received Interrogatories

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hardenaz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was in the discovery process of a debt collection case (I assumed this because I answered the petition) and I never received the interrogatories from the attorney for the Plaintiff. I have, however, just received a Notice of Ruling stating that:

1) Motion to Deem Facts as Admitted is Granted.
2) Mandatory sanctions are to be paid by Defendant (me)

I live in Sacramento county and I would like to know what form I am supposed to fill out stating that 1) I never received any interrogatories to answer and 2) I would like to receive them and answer them. Please help, information is highly appreciated.

dcatz

(OK. I’ve contradicted myself by saying “maybe a response a month to unique problems”:https://forum.freeadvice.com/small-claims-courts-24/small-claim-never-served-debt-twice-original-574059.html) This makes two but the post is unique.

OP – I’m guessing that more is omitted than stated in your post. One could infer that you need to learn much more about the litigation process and also conclude that your boat has already sunk.

1) You’ve posted in the wrong forum. Attorneys and discovery are not permitted in CA Small Claims. You should be in the Civil Litigation forum but, before you repost, there is an answer to the query:
2) (a) You necessarily must be in the Limited or Unlimited divisions of Superior Court and (b) there is no form. You must file a Motion (for Reconsideration, I suppose) that is drafted to address the specific facts leading to your failure to respond to discovery. My assumption is that you will have to learn to prepare a motion and that you will have to go to court and review the file to study the service of the discovery and the filing/service of the motion. You’ll want to look at the Proof of Service for each to see if the mailing address is correct and, if you’ve never seen the discovery, buy a copy.
3) I suspect that you have three related problems that may be insurmountable: (a) the original discovery was (presumably) sent to the wrong address; (b) the Notice of Motion was also (presumably) sent to the wrong address; (c) the Notice of Ruling was sent to the right address and that better not be the same address for all three or you’ll have a very hard time convincing the Court that the lapse was justified.
4) Discovery consisted of more than Interrogatories. The Notice of Ruling indicates that there were also Requests for Admissions. If the attorney did an adequate job on the RFAs, the Ruling means that you’re now susceptible to a Motion for Summary Judgment.
5) If you don’t have a very strong expectation of both winning a motion to vacate the ruling and winning a Motion for Summary Judgment or winning at trial (with essential facts deemed admitted), I suggest that you are simply protracting the inevitable and that you contact plaintiff’s attorney to negotiate a settlement arrangement that allows a waiver of sanctions. Depending on the Order for Sanctions, there is a possibility that you will not even be permitted to proceed (except to file the motion) until they are paid. That would leave you essentially powerless.

If you’re going to try all of this anyway, I would suggest that you retain an attorney and that you file (Proposed) Responses to Discovery along with your Motion.

davidmcbeth3

You talking about interrogatories or request to admit?

If they sent the discovery to your appearance address & you moved & did not notify the court, then you'll have to search case law to see if anything supports your (guessing) request to modify an order ...

You'll need to file a motion, its not a form .. its a pleading...and include case law supporting your viewpoint of why the orders should be revisited.

hardenaz

Thank you so much for your help. I went to the law library and the librarian directed me to a self-help book which explained for me. I used pleading paper to write up the motion and submitted it. Thank you so much. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">