• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NEWBIE: I was sued and didn't even know it. HELP!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustPlainBroke

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I was recently mailed a revivor of a court case that I had no idea I ever had. A credit company sued me by the name of Arrow Financial Services and I've never done business with them. I never knew about the case because at the time of the case, the certified letter was sent to the front desk of the dorm I no longer lived in. A person signed for the letter but I never received it. It never got forwarded to my address. The case commenced and the judge filed a judgment for the company since I did not show up to the court date. I never knew about the court date. The only reason I know any of this information is because I looked at the case file I can view online. So now I owe nearly $2000 for something I have no idea about. I wrote a letter to the company that is coming after me now to dispute it and ask for original creditor information, as well as to tell them that I had no idea I was even sued. They sent me back a letter containing a print out of the online case file and a copy of the same "revivor" letter that I already had in the mail. What now?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I was recently mailed a revivor of a court case that I had no idea I ever had. A credit company sued me by the name of Arrow Financial Services and I've never done business with them. I never knew about the case because at the time of the case, the certified letter was sent to the front desk of the dorm I no longer lived in. A person signed for the letter but I never received it. It never got forwarded to my address. The case commenced and the judge filed a judgment for the company since I did not show up to the court date. I never knew about the court date. The only reason I know any of this information is because I looked at the case file I can view online. So now I owe nearly $2000 for something I have no idea about. I wrote a letter to the company that is coming after me now to dispute it and ask for original creditor information, as well as to tell them that I had no idea I was even sued. They sent me back a letter containing a print out of the online case file and a copy of the same "revivor" letter that I already had in the mail. What now?

Did you inform the company of your change of address?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">