• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newbie: Small claims help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigrobbsfv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I received a judgment from Van Nuys Court. I was never notified about this action. Frist: How do I get what court was said about if I was notified. What the plaintiff said in court about the service of documents that never received. Did they lie about this, did they forge my name? Please Help. Thanks Robb

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I received a judgment from Van Nuys Court. I was never notified about this action. Frist: How do I get what court was said about if I was notified. What the plaintiff said in court about the service of documents that never received. Did they lie about this, did they forge my name? Please Help. Thanks Robb
Call the clerk and find out how service was perfected. Or look online if the court has online records.

bigrobbsfv

Small claims help

You didn't receive a judgement, a judgement has been entered against you. Big difference.
Thank you so much for replying to me. So the paper said on the fourteenth day of April your small claims case has been decided. The court has ordered you to pay a $9,800.00 principal and $225.00 costs on plaintiff's claim. This document also says "(NOTICE OF ENTRY OF JUDGMENT"). The form is a SC-130. A California document. Which movie is it where someone says "I'm so confused"? Thanks Robb

bigrobbsfv

Small claims help

Call the clerk and find out how service was perfected. Or look online if the court has online records.
I'm so new I do not know if I should reply to everyone that has sent me a reply? Thank you so much for replying to me. So the paper said that on the fourteenth day of April your small claims has been decided the court has ordered you to pay a $9,800.00 principal and $225.00 costs on plaintiff's claim. Thanks so much for your help Robb.

dcatz

Can’t speak for other responders but no reply necessary here. It’s all public information.

Unfortunately, it appears that you may have suffered a default judgment and, if so, there will be very little information available online. However, the Court Clerk won’t have more so start here:
http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/civilcasesummarynet/ui/index.aspx? The form that you received will tell you the individual/entity awarded judgment, and that may suggest to you the nature of the claim against you. For a default, the case information is unlikely to tell you anything more than how you were allegedly served. That was probably by private process server, since the filing fee for a $9,800. claim would be $75.00 and the cost of certified mail or the Sheriff would not account for the $150.00 differential reflected in awarded costs.

Your time for appealing the judgment was 30 days from entry of judgment and expired on the date that you posted your question. But, if you feel that you were not properly served and, the above assumption is correct, you have 180 days from entry of judgment to appeal on that basis. Still, the sooner the better.

Understand that, to be successful in appealing based on inadequate service, you will have to travel 270 mi. from Wawona to appear for appeal and do it again, if you’re successful and then choose to contest the claim. If you allegedly were served in Wawona, the only issue you might have, aside from the merits is venue, if you reside/do business in Wawona (claiming you were not served, questions jurisdiction by definition).

If you question/challenge any aspect of the claim, the safest thing to do is to get a copy of the documents allegedly served. You can do this by getting scanned copies (set-up an online account at “Civil Case Documents”) at http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/ or calling the Civil Clerk (not the Court Clerk) at the Van Nuys Court for costs and sending a check and SASE for copies of the Complaint and Proof of Service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">