• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Next Friend Qualifications...Do I qualify to help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdawg83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am interested in the qualifications for Next Friend Status.

In accordance with the Arizona Bar Association, only licensed attorneys or the Person representing themselves Pro Se (Per) have the right to prepare documents, and file motions, pleadings or briefs. The definition I found for Next Friend is as follows:

"At Common Law, when an individual was unable to look after his or her own interests or manage his or her lawsuit, the court would appoint a person to represent that individual's legal interests. In court terminology this person was called a next friend, which is derived from the French term prochein ami. Individuals requiring a next friend included minors, persons who were mentally ill or mentally retarded, infirm or senile persons, and others whose disabilities prevented them from managing their affairs."

At the time my friend filed her action for suit in court (she is the plaintiff of a civil action complaint in Justice Court) she did not know she was already 3 months pregnant. Now she is 5 months and the doctor is ordering her to take medication to relieve headaches and other issues and the stress of the case and conforming to time lines is not helping her situation. I know every detail of her case and have helped her research all of her filings. Her Mediation is scheduled for the first week of September which means that it will probably be another month or so after that for the actual trial.

I have two questions:

1. Will the Court allow me to sub in her place and represent her as a Next Friend because Pregnancy has been deemed as a temporary disability sometimes.

2. Do I have to notify and submit a copy of the Petition for Next Friend to the Defendants as well. Because technically its not changing the Council of Record, which you would have to notify as well as file a motion to appear with the Court.

seniorjudge

This has nothing to do with next friend.

You are asking if you can practice law without a license and the answer is no.

jdawg83

With all do respect it has nothing to do with UPL. My friend is pregnant and she wants me to help her...its in a similar situation to what a McKenzie Friend would be in a custody hearing

jdawg83

In addition it isn't unauthorized practice of law if she is telling me what she wants to do. She is representing herself Pro Se in the matter and is trying to work out a settlement with the Defendants before it goes to trial. Recently they offered to settle for $4500 but she is suing for 9K, and she doesn't want to take half because she knows they breached the contract and want to keep her money and in her suit she wants a recession and the return of the 8K she put down plus the $835 she paid in rental credit for a Lease Option. She doesn't want to get a lawyer unless it goes above mediation and just wants me to go to mediation to see if an agreement can be worked out because she has mornings where she has really bad morning sickness and doesnt want to request a continuance and extend the trial length

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
With all do respect it has nothing to do with UPL. My friend is pregnant and she wants me to help her...its in a similar situation to what a McKenzie Friend would be in a custody hearing
Don't believe everything you read on the internet :rolleyes:
Also, don't cut/paste without citing your source.

And, lastly, what you are proposing is NOT to act as "next friend", rather, it would be considered practicing law without a license (as you were clearly told earlier in this thread)

jdawg83

I don't understand...does that mean that you still disagree with me or that there is a chance it will work?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't understand...does that mean that you still disagree with me or that there is a chance it will work?
I think he wanted to hear the tale of your punishment for practicing law without a license. That always makes for good reading ;)

jdawg83

ARCP 17(i)

No person shall be appointed guardian ad litem or next friend except upon written consent filed in the action. A guardian or next friend shall not be personally liable for costs, unless by special order of the court. The court may allow the guardian or next friend a reasonable compensation for services to be taxed as part of the costs of the action.

I understand what both of you are saying, but im not trying to Practice Law, she is representing herself pro se and wants me to help her. Its weird because there is a gray area as to UPL is...i called the AZ bar just now and they told me that while I can not "prepare" a court document, whether it be a pleading, motion, or brief...i can "proof read and edit" a brief and I just don't understand what the problem is. Yes I do understand the FRCP and the statues that apply to her case she does as well, the only reason why she needs my help is because she is pregnant, if she wasnt I wouldn't even be in the picture. She doesn't want to pay a lawyer when she knows her rights and the legal remedies, and is trying to find a way to avoid that, and from researching what a Next Friend is "on the internet' it says that if she is unable to fully work on the case because of a disability she can appoint one

jdawg83

I also understand that the typical use of a next friend is in custody hearings for a child, when a person is mentally unable to represent themselves or if someone is incarcerated, and basically you two are viewing it as me trying to step in and play "lawyer". Im not trying to step in and do UPL, my friend was representing herself Pro Se for the past 3 months and its becoming more and more difficult for her to make the hearings or drive to the court and meet the filing deadlines, then turn around and mail copies of the motions and pleadings to the Defendants and just wants some help

seniorjudge

I also understand that the typical use of a next friend is in custody hearings for a child, when a person is mentally unable to represent themselves or if someone is incarcerated, and basically you two are viewing it as me trying to step in and play "lawyer". Im not trying to step in and do UPL, my friend was representing herself Pro Se for the past 3 months and its becoming more and more difficult for her to make the hearings or drive to the court and meet the filing deadlines, then turn around and mail copies of the motions and pleadings to the Defendants and just wants some help
You don't like the correct and accurate answers you have gotten.

You are on your own.

'Bye.

jdawg83

Its not that I don't respect your opinion its just that im amazed that in the legal system there isn't a way for someone that needs help to obtain it without paying a lawyer...so besides Next Friend...is there anything she can do to avoid obtaining legal council? or is she out of luck and just need to pay for a lawyer to finish what she started

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">