• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ - Electric Company Made a HUGE mistake can I take to Small Claims Court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joodee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Basically we've been renting at a new property for 8 months now and recently our electric company noticed that they have been billing the wrong residents with the wrong bills. (they had the meters connected to the wrong addresses so neighbors were getting other neighbors bill) no one knew about this and all of a sudden today, I get a call from the electric company that we owe them $995!!!! However knowing their mistake, they said that they will offer us a 25% discount on what we owe...???...
My complaint first off is, it's not my problem that you (the electric company) made a mistake for the last 8 months. Secondly, if I had known that I was using that much electricity and my bill was "supposedly" that high, I would have cut back on my use.
Should we fight them on this and take them to small claims court?
(I know of other neighbors who have also been slapped with the same situation..and of course others that are getting refunds)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Basically we've been renting at a new property for 8 months now and recently our electric company noticed that they have been billing the wrong residents with the wrong bills. (they had the meters connected to the wrong addresses so neighbors were getting other neighbors bill) no one knew about this and all of a sudden today, I get a call from the electric company that we owe them $995!!!! However knowing their mistake, they said that they will offer us a 25% discount on what we owe...???...
My complaint first off is, it's not my problem that you (the electric company) made a mistake for the last 8 months. Secondly, if I had known that I was using that much electricity and my bill was "supposedly" that high, I would have cut back on my use.
Should we fight them on this and take them to small claims court?
(I know of other neighbors who have also been slapped with the same situation..and of course others that are getting refunds)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: if their mistake was corrected then you owe the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">