• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no contract or contact and harassment of my wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eckford100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas

ok my father died from cancer while staying her in Texas with me. We were trying to decide if we wanted to send him home or make arrangements depending on the cost to send him home. I spoke with one funeral and they said we had to prepay before they sent him home. The day my father died I contact the funeral home in Mississippi for them to check and see how much it would cost. They called back and told me that he was prepaid and they didn’t know how it was prepaid. I asked them and they still said they didn’t know. No one contact me but the funeral home in Mississippi so I figured hey maybe the army or someone paid for it. My father body was sent to Mississippi the next day. I get there make all the arrangements and the next day the funeral home in Mississippi received a bill to them in regards to the shipment. He told me he didn’t expect that nor did I. So he gave the bill to me. The funeral home called asking for the 1350 for the shipment. I told him I thought it was prepaid plus no one contacted me about the price and I didn't get a bill until after the arrangements. So i told the guy I don't see why I must pay but if so I can pay 100 a month. He wanted more and threatened to sue my wife who is in the army. He contacted the funeral home in Mississippi asking for the money and offered to settle for 1200. He also said that the agreement was between them and he talked to no one else. The funeral in Mississippi replied and sent me a copy of what the funeral home director said in Texas. We went to legal and showed him the letters and they replied sending him a letter stating that the issue is between the two funeral homes and not me. There was no verbal or written contract between me and the funeral director in Texas. We didn't even talk. He called after and I asked him why he didn’t call me to make sure I was able to pay the cost and he told me that they normally don't talk to the family members. I replied and said he should have because i was under the assumption that someone covered it in good faith and the funeral home in Mississippi had no idea how it got paid. Well the lawyer typed a note saying that there was no contract between us and i am not obligated to pay because they jumped the gun and my wife has nothing to do with it at all. He continued to harass my wife and called her chain of command threatening to file criminal charges and how they are making her pay. He also typed a letter saying my wife called him and we went to his business which it untrue I didn`t know until after the fact and I never visited his business. He stated in his letter that he only talked to the funeral home in Mississippi and no one else. He lied to make my wife chain force her to pay and now they are. He has harassed and threatened my wife and my wife has to pay because of her chain, but in this can we sue him for harassment and try to get the money back because no contract he never contacted me until after and i have proof of him saying so as well. My wife has been stressing and has suffered emotional distress in fears that she could be put out the army and she felt harassed. and she also wants her money back because she feels that it`s not her responsibility it`s my dad not hers. No contract no nothing just between two funeral homes when one should have called to verify everything, but instead they jumped the gun. Anything we can do.

Banned_Princess

Look, your not getting any payment for emotional distress.

She should have contacted the police about the unwanted contact.

You will have to sue them, but you already paid them.

How did the army "Make" her pay it.

eckford100

the guy constantly called her cpt and made threats to file criminal charges. he called her cell phone even when she told him not to because it`s not her responsibility. Her chain of command told her she had to pay this guy before it went up higher so they made an order for her to pay. They saw the contradicting letters however they still said she has to pay. The jag lawyer even said it wasnt her bill but the guy added her name to it anyway since she is in the army. We haven't paid yet but my wife is getting a loan to pay it off by wed.

Banned_Princess

the guy constantly called her cpt and made threats to file criminal charges. he called her cell phone even when she told him not to because it`s not her responsibility. Her chain of command told her she had to pay this guy before it went up higher so they made an order for her to pay. They saw the contradicting letters however they still said she has to pay. The jag lawyer even said it wasnt her bill but the guy added her name to it anyway since she is in the army. We haven't paid yet but my wife is getting a loan to pay it off by wed.
Oh. well, you can file a civil suit I guess and maybe her higher up's might put the demand to pay on hold, but I don't know how that government body works.

Why does the funeral home know she is in the army?

eckford100

He didnt until the funeral from our home town told him. The guy had the misunderstanding that I was in the army but they gave him her cell and somehow he found out what unit she was in and so on. This guy is full of it his letter to the funeral home in Mississippi clearly states he had no contact with use, and he was trying top collect from them he even put that he will settle for $1200, but then he writes another saying we did see him and make the arrangements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">