• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Rental Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grandbg

What is the name of your state? Minnesota.
My daughter was asked if she would stay at a friends house because she wanted to move out of state for a undetermined amount of time. All that was asked is that she pick up and mail the friends bills to her new address that arrive there and take care of her cat. The friend didn't want to change her address.
After 6 months the friend gave my daughter a 12 day notice that she was moving back. My daughter cleaned up and moved out knowing she owed for some bills she was suppose to pay, but in the 4 months that she has been out she has since paid those bills in full.
Today she paid the last money owed for utilities for $185.00, and then picked up her mail, and found (after 4 months), my daughter got court papers to small claims court from the "friend" to pay for DAMAGE to the 8 year old carpet in the living area. She is putting the house up for sale.
My question is does she have a case with no written agreement of any kind. No before pictures of residence and no security/deposit nor did she ask for any rents on this place.

Last edited:

ENASNI

hmm

grandbg said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota.
My daughter was asked if she would stay at a friends house because she wanted to move out of state for a undetermined amount of time. All that was asked is that she pick up and mail the friends bills to her new address that arrive there and take care of her cat. The friend didn't want to change her address.
After 6 months the friend gave my daughter a 12 day notice that she was moving back. My daughter cleaned up and moved out knowing she owed for some bills she was suppose to pay, but in the 4 months that she has been out she has since paid those bills in full.
Today she paid the last money owed, after 4 months, my daughter got court papers to small claims court from the "friend" to pay for DAMAGE to the 8 year old carpet in the living area. She is putting the house up for sale.
My question is does she have a case with no written agreement of any kind. No before pictures of residence and no security/deposit nor did she ask for any rents on this place.
Could be... lets ask this personMadame knowzitall

Is it small claims courts? I would think so.
here is some info.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/small_mn.html
It is usually on the Plaintiffs side to show proof.. Does she have any.. Pictures, movies... stills? witnesses...
Tell your daughter to get her stuff together... okay.. well it is getting late..
Good night. Have a Nero Wolfe novel ready to read before I go to sleep. Let me just tell you Archie Goodwin did NOT make the damage to the carpet.. he is dead by now...

grandbg

The friend had pictures taken of carpet after 4 months of my daughter moving out taken of carpet.. (and buying a new puppy!) As I mentioned it is in small claims, just to add, the pictures are only of the 8 year old well worn walk way to the kitchen from the front door. She didn't take pictures of the cigarette burns that were previously there. My daughter doesn't smoke. Thanks for the reply, and yes I would love be creative enough to write about people and their QUIRKY ways in this small rural town!
P.S. They both have witnesses...to what she said.. he said...who's the Judge gonna believe...there was no written contracts of any kind.

djohnson

Normal wear and tear would be expected even in a regular rental agreement. The well worn walkway area of 8 year old carpet will likely not hold water in court. She was basically just house sitting. It will be up to plantiff to prove. I don't think she has a very good case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">