• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Time Sharing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noshare

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

My ex girlfriend and I lived together for 5 years with a joint savings and checking account. During this time we jointly purchased a time share. When we split up 2.5 years ago we still owed more on it than what it could be sold for.

We finally came to an agreement that I would get the time share, but because it was a liability, I would also get a 53" HDTV in exchange. As soon as I took out a loan ($6,500) and paid off the initial loan for the time share, she changed her mind and said she was going to keep the TV. I know I can't do anything about that, but my story gets better/worse and I get dumber.

She got a call a couple of wks. ago from a company (Rii) claiming they can sell the time share quickly and it's worth $13,200. Greed got the better of her and she's breaking our original agreement for the second time. She's going to sell it and lay claim to half the proceeds. I don't care about the money. It's the principle and she shouldn't be able to get by with it.

With her name still on it, I don't see how I can successfully contest it. I believe that if she is now laying claiming to half, she owes me for half the cost incurred by me since the day I assumed this as a liability by myself. This would include half of the $6,500 to payoff the initial loan. Half the interest on my second loan ($500) and half the taxes and maintenance fees ($1,500) on the time share. I have the documented proof of these expenses. I think she would owe me $4,250 up-front. After the sale, we would then split the proceeds and commission fees. Is this correct?

By the way... yes I did leave literally with the shirt on my back except for some (not all) of the things I had prior to our relationship. Well... not quite. I did get a digital camera that I had bought for myself. While I may have lost a small fortune in five years, I at least got my sole back. No regrets about that. :) :) :)

JETX

noshare said:
After the sale, we would then split the proceeds and commission fees. Is this correct?
How should we know??
You have made so many side deals that no one can figure out who owes what to whom.
Presumably both of your names are on the property, so neither can sell without the others signature. Negotiate the best deal you can and get it in writing. Then, sign the papers when appropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">