• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debrajankowski

Hi, My name is Debbie Jankowski and I live in Philadelphia Pa. My question is regarding property law. My mother died 5 years ago and did not leave a will. My father lives in their house now and refuses to give me any of my things that are still there, or any of her things at all. I would like to sue him in small claims court for these items but do not know the law in regards to who gets what. The things I wish to have are a Baby Grand Piano which she always said would be left to me, a bin full of ceramic dolls which were given to me as gifts, a porcelain canister set in the kitchen, and a good amount of Crystal which was my mothers. What is the law in regards to these things? My father still resides in the house and as far as I know, his name is also on it. I'm not interested in the house however or any of the other posessions within it. I'm only interested in the things I have mentioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BL

Your Father takes possession of everything .

When your father passes and were still to reside there without a will of his own , then you'll have a shot at the items .

If you mother wanted you to have the items , you should have retrieved them while she was living .

debrajankowski

My mother died suddenly, and the piano was something she still enjoyed while she was living. She never wrote a will because she did not think my father would be so vindictive. What about the things that are mine in the house such as my dolls which were gifts given to me? I thought in the state of Pa, that the estate was supposed to be divided up between the surviving spouse and the children. His house is in horribly condition and has already been robbed twice. I'm affraid that these things will end up being either destroyed or stolen. Isn't there anything else I can do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">