• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bill_fuss

What is the name of your state? ohio
i was hired by a production company on april 12th to provide a sound system for an event. this was all through a verbal contract.i in turn hired my friend who has a sound system company. my part of the production went off with out a hitch. when it came time to pay, the owner of the company conveinently forgot his company checkbook and had his girlfriend write me a check from her personal account. well beleive it or not it bounced. he now insists that he reimbursed her for the money and it is now her responsibility to pay me and not his. i call constantly of course they wont answer the phone. i went to his website message board and posted i want my money. he replied to my post if i post again hes going to sue me for defamation of character. the amout he owes me is $300, is this a small claims issue? can he actually sue like he says he will? what action should i take next? thanks for any help

BL

Yes , it is a small claims issue.

Name both of them persons as defendants.

Ultimately , it was his responsibility to pay you .

JETX

"the amout he owes me is $300, is this a small claims issue?"
*** Yes.

"can he actually sue like he says he will?"
*** Yes, he could file a suit against you. After all, anyone can sue anyone else over almost anything. Can he win?? Based on your post, I doubt it.

"what action should i take next?"
*** Her giving you a bad check makes her liable for both criminal and civil charges!! First thing I would do would be to send the girlfriend a demand letter and send it by certified letter. For more, see the instructions at:
http://vanwert.org/gov/lawdirector/badchecks.htm
Then, if she refuses to make the check good, I would go down and file criminal charges against HER. That should do wonders for their relationship.

Then, after all that is done, I would go down to the local courthouse and file civil claim against HIM!!!

For more:
http://home.fuse.net/mattc/badcheck.htm

"thanks for any help"
*** You're welcome!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">