• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-payment of personal loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KirbyOH

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?OHIO
I have a Consumer loan agreement from a friend for a loan I gave him on 5-20-2005. He made the first payment on time but the last 9 payments are past due and subject to late charges and the annual % rate, with finance charges. Can I take him to small claims court and obtain a lein on his property as stated in our contract? Or can I obtain the entire balance with all charges now, even thiough the contract states the last payment is on 8-31-2005? What advice can you give me?

JETX

KirbyOH said:
Can I take him to small claims court and obtain a lein on his property as stated in our contract? Or can I obtain the entire balance with all charges now, even thiough the contract states the last payment is on 8-31-2005? What advice can you give me?
Unless your agreement has an escalation clause (full amount due on breach), I doubt the court would award you for 'future' damages. I suggest you wait a few more weeks, then sue him for the full contract.
One warning though.... your post says "late charges and the annual % rate, with finance charges." You need to make sure that your charges are allowed by state law and not usurious.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">