• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-payment and refusal to return equipment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

icedogchi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MT

A (former) friend of mine agreed to buy some computer equipment from me for $250 since I am in a difficult financial situation (as are a lot of us). At the end of May 2010, he agreed and I mailed him the equipment. He has promised on 4 different occasions that he had either mailed the check or was returning the equipment, but never has.

Here are my questions:
1) He is the owner of a small startup corporation. While the deal was between him and myself, he had me mail the equipment to his company (addressed to the company, not anyone at the company). Does this leave his company liable for payment?

2) I don't want the equipment back as I fear he may have damaged it. Am I able to require payment as agreed or must I accept the equipment back?

3) I live in Montana and he lives in Illinois. Am I able to file a suit in Montana and force him to come here for a court date? Or must I go to Illinois? Or because this is cross-border, I'm out of luck?

4) Any lawyer here just in a bad mood and would love to write this jerk-wad a letter? :)

cosine

It just cost you $250 to find out your list of friends is now shorter by one. You didn't get this in writing, did you?

icedogchi

In writing

Yes, I have all correspondence in writing. In addition, I have the tracking number for the delivery of the equipment to his corporate address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">