• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non refund of deposit - Srevices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Garyb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I put down a $3500 dollar deposit on a cabinet job a year and 3 months ago. The deposit slip does not say "no refunds". The order had to be cancelled. They said they would refund me but did not have the money. He agreed to refund me but kept dragging me along. He is now saying Texas has a 72 hour no back out law. I did cancel within that timeframe but by voice. His word against mine. Not sure what my options are. I have text messages from him saying he will refund me.

Thanks for any help!
Gary

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I put down a $3500 dollar deposit on a cabinet job a year and 3 months ago. The deposit slip does not say "no refunds". The order had to be cancelled. They said they would refund me but did not have the money. He agreed to refund me but kept dragging me along. He is now saying Texas has a 72 hour no back out law. I did cancel within that timeframe but by voice. His word against mine. Not sure what my options are. I have text messages from him saying he will refund me.

Thanks for any help!
Gary
You have text messages promising a refund and you waited for a year and 3 months before thinking that maybe the cabinet guy was not really going to refund your deposit?

Garyb

Nice guy, down on his luck barely making ends meet. I was giving him every opportunity to pay me back. I know, when it comes to money you can't be nice. Do I have any options here or am I screwed?

Thanks for the reply

quincy

Nice guy, down on his luck barely making ends meet. I was giving him every opportunity to pay me back. I know, when it comes to money you can't be nice. Do I have any options here or am I screwed?

Thanks for the reply
If my reading of Texas consumer protection laws are correct (and someone from Texas will no doubt correct me if I am wrong), you have two years to file suit against the cabinet guy for the return of your deposit. I am not sure what sort of success you will have with any suit, though, based on the lack of evidence you have supporting the timing of your cancellation of the cabinet order.

You can sit down with an attorney in your area for a brief review of the text messages and an assessment of the facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">