• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-refundable deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dog breeder

What is the name of your state? CT.

Hello group!
First let me apologize for this LONG post, but I feel all the info. needs to be told in order for me to get a proper response. I'm a dog breeder in CT. & have a question concerning a deposit for a puppy. I've never taken deposits before my current litter. The reason I began doing so now is because I was tired of people comitting to a puppy & then backing out. I put alot of hard work & time into the planning, research, screening of families & care of my dogs & pups. Here's my situation....
I have 1 pup (the pick female) still available for placement. Because at this time I'm unable to keep a pup myself I will only place this female in a home that will agree to a 'lease back' contract, which allows me to breed her in the future. I've been very upfront with all that have contacted me as to these terms. A couple wks. before pups were born I approved a family, who not only agreed to the lease back contract from our 1st phone conversation, but gave the impression they were excited about it. During the phone conversation I mentioned that I'd be asking for a deposit if they were approved which is non-refundable other than the following reasons: the bitch doesn't become pregnant, there aren't enough pups to place one in their home, or I do not feel there's an appropriate pup to place with them. I also send a sample copy of my deposit receipt along with other initial info.. Once this home was approved I turned away several other potential homes for this pup. I received a deposit from this family the day after the pups were born. 3 days later I received an email from this woman saying they no longer would allow me to breed this pup & if I had to sell the pup to someone else they would understand. I hadn't even gotten to send them a deposit receipt when I got this email. Please understand that with a husband, 3 children, 4 dogs, a litter of 5 pups & all that goes along with this it took me awhile to read her emails & get back to her....which isn't uncommon with breeders. About 2wks. later I replied by informing them that because they were no longer willing to agree to the lease back terms I would have to place the pup with another family. Her response was that she 'expected as much but didn't expect such a curt & unprofessional reply', blah, blah, blah & to fwd. her deposit. My initial thought was 'it's NON-refundable', so no way! Then I thought, well, maybe I should because I didn't send the receipt signed by me to her. Well,while trying to decide what to do I've discussed this with other breeders as well as general non-dog people & most feel I shouldn't return her $$. Some feel I should return it only after I've found another home willing to agree to my lease back terms. WELL....yesterday (approx. 2 1/2wks. after the last email) I received an email from this person asking if there was a reason her deposit wasn't returned. Now today she wrote threatening that if she doesn't have her deposit by this coming Mon. she will refer it to her lawyer for small claims court. Obviously I want to do what is legally right, but don't know if in CT. I'm obligated to return her deposit. Advice please??!!!

lil96

if you pm or email me, I know of a dog forum, where people ask this stuff all the time. A few breeders come there too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">