• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non sufficient funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jass

I Hired someone to help fix up my cabibinets because im planning on selling my home soon. He asked for 5000 to buy the supplies but then he decided that he didn't know how to do what he said he would originally do. After asking him many times for our money back he finally gave back $2200. Now he owes us $2800 and gave us a check but it doesnt work cause the check bounced. I want my money back, what would i do as a recourse?

Hot Topic

Obviously, you should take him to court and sue for the monies you're owed, plus the charge from the bank for the "bounced" check. Then you should report him to the District Attorney for writing a bad check.

And you need to do a lot of research on hiring people to do work for you. You're partly to blame for this situation.

Options

What State do you live in?

Some states have statutory provisions allowing for specific recovery for bad checks, including attorney's fees and treble damages.

Of course if the business bounced a check to you, they likely do not have much money, so a judgment may not be worth a lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">