• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not Paid for Services Rendered - Case Pending....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

law_ny1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I put in several hours of consulting service for a company - last year in 2008 for various clients. While he has paid me for some work last year, there is an outstanding balance of a few grand. I attempted to have him pay me in full, via invoices, notices, email, and phone calls, but I've gotten the run around since. So, now I have sued in small claims and a 2nd appearance (he adjourned the first) is pending.
Here are the facts: The company had hit very bad financial times. They already received payment from the client, but this has been used for other expenses. The company does NOT dispute it owes me, and in fact, given me a written proposal for a payout plan over 6-months. I have received a check for 1st payment. All this came about because I sued in court. I feel this attempt is all a bit too late, and all faith and trust has been lost between myself and this company. They had over a year to pay out, and did not.
I would consider accepting the payment plan, but 1) it is over a 6-month period - which is ridiculously long considering it took a year to get their attention for a relatively small amount (but they are crying poverty), and MOST IMPORTANT, 3) I have reason to believe the company is on the verge of BANKRUPCTY. I suspect, that possibly, this payment plan, is a delay tactic until they can file chapter 11. They admitted as much that they are trying to stay afloat and restructure the organization. If they do that, I feel I will NEVER see my money, or be in a long line to collect. In fact, I am probably just in time with the lawsuit.
They have stated the absolutely FEAR a judgement against them, and so not sure what I can do legally to assure I will be paid in full, other than proceed with the case. They are saying their doing everything they can to settle outside of court, and a judgement could put them out of business or be bad with "creditors".
What say this wise counsel of the forum. Thank you in advance!

JETX

So, your options are:
1) Accept their payment plan and dismiss your lawsuit.... with the risk that they not pay you,
or
2) Go ahead with the lawsuit and get a judgment.... with the risk that they not pay you.

Go with the judgment. It gives you additional collection 'tools'.

law_ny1

Follow-up Question

Thanks JETX for the reply. Since I do not understand bankruptcy law, is the reason they fear a judgement against them b/c this could affect or in essence prevent their filing? I'd like to understand the "leverage" I may have.

JETX

Since I do not understand bankruptcy law, is the reason they fear a judgement against them b/c this could affect or in essence prevent their filing? I'd like to understand the "leverage" I may have.
You really don't have any leverage... and I can't even guess what their 'fear' may be.
Most people recognize that a judgment is a single negative that can be resolved by payment... and a bankruptcy is a 'complete' negative that can't be undone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">