• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not paid for sold property...PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlp17603

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Ok so my dog had puppies, yes it was irresponsible, shes spayed now, blah blah blah. So my dog had puppies and I sold them. There were three total, and I sold one of them to my best friend. BEST FRIEND, someone I completely trusted and have known for many years. So, she (my friend) had the puppy and wrote me a check for the amount of the puppy. She asked me not to cash the check until a specific date we both agreed upon, since she had just started a new job and was waiting for her first paycheck. So, I cashed said check on the agreed upon date and guess what? The check was returned. I was assessed fees because of the returned check in the amount of $110. I tried to call, text, email, my friend and I have not heard one word back from her. My question is - should I go after her for this money? and how do I go about doing so?

mlp17603

Update to above

Ok, so an update: Yesterday the buyer emailed me and gave me some BS about losing her checkbook and cancelling all the checks out of it. My ? is - can I go after her in court for the fees I was charged by my bank for the check she stopped payment on?

PLEASE HELP? Thnx so much!

AnnetteG

Are you kidding?

If you don't care one way or the other.. and you have all the paperwork and don't mind losing a friend.. go for it.. you'd win, I am sure!

Antigone*

If you don't care one way or the other.. and you have all the paperwork and don't mind losing a friend.. go for it.. you'd win, I am sure!
What kind of response is this???

OP, please ignore this poster.

I would first ask your friend to make good on the check plus the bank fee. If she doesn't then your friendship is down the tube anyways. You should then go to your local court house and file suit.

Take care, ana

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ok, so an update: Yesterday the buyer emailed me and gave me some BS about losing her checkbook and cancelling all the checks out of it. My ? is - can I go after her in court for the fees I was charged by my bank for the check she stopped payment on?

PLEASE HELP? Thnx so much!
Why do you have $110 in bank fees? It is your obligation to make sure the money clears your account before you write checks.

Antigone*

Why do you have $110 in bank fees? It is your obligation to make sure the money clears your account before you write checks.
While I normally agree with you OG, it is pretty crappy to have a check returned for stop payment.

If the OP sues, chances are she will collect.

mlp17603

Yes, it is my responsibility to manage my account, but like I said, she was my BEST friend, and I didnt think anything of it. We've been friends for a long time. I was (and still am) out of state the day after I deposited the check and didnt think that it wouldnt be good.

TO ADD TO THE DRAMA (dont you just love it?) This grown woman is now posting all this ridiculous information about me on her Facebook page. A friend of mine alerted me to this. I'm so tired of this but thanks to all the great advice I have gotten from this forum I'm confident about my case.

Tallrat

She didnt write the check her friend did, she just tried to cash it.

I'm so tired of this but thanks to all the great advice I have gotten from this forum I'm confident about my case.
Good luck, I'd steer clear of this "friend" after all this is done.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She didnt write the check her friend did, she just tried to cash it.

She apparently wrote checks on the money she attempted to deposit before said money hit her account. She should sue her former friend for the amount of the check but she might not collect on the fees from the checks SHE wrote and bounced before the money cleared her account.

mlp17603

Thanks! Yeah, lets just say I dont need friends like that! FYI I looked up the PA law on my stopped check thing and according to what I'm reading, it says that in PA you can collect up to 3x the amount of the cancelled check, up to $500 in court, so hopefully it will work out for me! Thanks again for all the help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">