• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not real sure...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjrpatterson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I sold a car for a friend. We never agreed on a price, but I asked her what was the least she'd take. I sold the car for a little more than that and gave her what she said. She found out that i had sold it for more and is now threatening to get the law involved claiming I stole money from her. Does she have a case against me?

Banned_Princess

I sold a car for a friend. We never agreed on a price, but I asked her what was the least she'd take. I sold the car for a little more than that and gave her what she said. She found out that i had sold it for more and is now threatening to get the law involved claiming I stole money from her. Does she have a case against me?
did the owner sign the title to you, or to who you sold it to?

no she does not have a criminal complaint, but she might have a civil one, depending.

sandyclaus

So, in other words... You sold the car for a friend, asked for the minimum the friend would accept for the sale proceeds, and decided it would be OK to pocket the amount over and above that?

You DID steal money from them. I'd say that was theft. Misrepresentation and fraud maybe if you claimed you sold it for less than you did. Not sure if the police will prosecute that, but for your sake, let's hope they don't pursue charges against you.

If the "friend" is suing you to recover the amount that you pocketed, then she definitely has a civil case against you to recover the money you kept - especially since there isn't any proof that any kind of agreement exists that allowed you to keep a portion of the sale price as a fee for your services.

Wow. I'm sure glad I don't have friends like you. And if I did, they sure wouldn't be friends for long. :eek::eek::eek:

latigo

So, in other words... You sold the car for a friend, asked for the minimum the friend would accept for the sale proceeds, and decided it would be OK to pocket the amount over and above that?

You DID steal money from them. I'd say that was theft. Misrepresentation and fraud maybe if you claimed you sold it for less than you did. Not sure if the police will prosecute that, but for your sake, let's hope they don't pursue charges against you.

If the "friend" is suing you to recover the amount that you pocketed, then she definitely has a civil case against you to recover the money you kept - especially since there isn't any proof that any kind of agreement exists that allowed you to keep a portion of the sale price as a fee for your services.

Wow. I'm sure glad I don't have friends like you. And if I did, they sure wouldn't be friends for long. :eek::eek::eek:
Do only unprincipled rascals traffic in used cars or does the used car business spawn unprincipled rascals?

Always wondered about that.

And I don't need anyone drawing comparisons between them and lawyers. (I've seen the picture and scores of reruns.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">