• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

notarization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wickedbliss

What is the name of your state? PA

Will a notarized contract not drawn up by attorneys for the payments of fees hold up in court if one person refuses to abide the terms laid out in the signed notarized contract? Basically ... someone agreed to pay me for services rendered upon the sale of a house, we drew up a contract stating that when the house sold these funds would be paid to me. we signed it in front of a notary and it was stamped with the notary's seal. now he refuses to pay despite to house already going to closing. If i sue him for the money, will that contract hold up in court?

BL

Depending on how soon the closing is to take place ,Sue them ASAP, once you get the Judgment , Get an abstract of Judgment from the small claims Clerks Office .

File that abstract of Judgment with the County Clerk's Office .

If it's not too late , you will get paid from sale of the Home .

I suppose you could always consult a real estate Lawyer , or repost your Question under Real Estate Law .

JETX

wickedbliss said:
Will a notarized contract not drawn up by attorneys for the payments of fees hold up in court if one person refuses to abide the terms laid out in the signed notarized contract?
No one can answer that without a COMPLETE review of the full 'contract'.

Basically ... someone agreed to pay me for services rendered upon the sale of a house, we drew up a contract stating that when the house sold these funds would be paid to me. we signed it in front of a notary and it was stamped with the notary's seal. now he refuses to pay despite to house already going to closing.
Should be pretty simple. Present the bill/contract to the title company BEFORE it closes. They will either accept it and pay from the proceeds, or will escrow the funds from the sale... until you can get a court order to release them to you.

If i sue him for the money, will that contract hold up in court?
See first answer.

wickedbliss

Blonde Lebinese said:
Depending on how soon the closing is to take place ,Sue them ASAP, once you get the Judgment , Get an abstract of Judgment from the small claims Clerks Office .

File that abstract of Judgment with the County Clerk's Office .

If it's not too late , you will get paid from sale of the Home .

I suppose you could always consult a real estate Lawyer , or repost your Question under Real Estate Law .

the house has already closed ... i am suing the individual who sold the house...not the title company ..it was for work done on the house before the sale ... being a nice but stupid guy ..i did some work and agreed to let him pay me after the house sold, hence the "contract" which states that he will pay me $6500 upon the sale...now he won't pay ... what is my first step in resolving this?

BL

If i sue him for the money, will that contract hold up in court?
You have a promissory note , signed and notarized , someone owes you money .

In my opinion yes , to your answer .

You need to look up what you small claims limit is in your State , then decide if it is a Lower amount , if you want to settle for the Max. allowed in small claims , or go to the next level in Court , which may require a Lawyer .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">