• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notarized letter in Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sheababylv

I am in Brooklyn, NY, and am suing my former landlord in small claims court. The guy who rents the apartment below me wants to help, but can't/won't come into court for various reasons. Can I submit a notarized letter from this guy to the court? I need corroboration on a few key points, and he's the only one who can provide it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sheababylv said:
I am in Brooklyn, NY, and am suing my former landlord in small claims court. The guy who rents the apartment below me wants to help, but can't/won't come into court for various reasons. Can I submit a notarized letter from this guy to the court? I need corroboration on a few key points, and he's the only one who can provide it.
My response:

You can try, but I doubt the judge will accept it. You see, judges want "live" testimony, and a notarized statement can't be cross-examined by the landlord.

If your case hinges on the other tenant, your only hope is to have him subpoenaed to court. Now, he may put up a fight, and make threats about not testifying, but he will - - and, if need be, you can ask permission from the judge to question the tenant as a "hostile witness".

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">