• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice Of Claim Found

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maga

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello Law Advice people!

I am a building maintenance guy who also lives in the same location. We received a few months ago what looks to be court papers to appear in court. It is addressed without an apartment number and the name of the defendant is unknown.

That is, there is nobody under that name living here. So, nobody knows if it's a clerical error or that person lives somewhere in our block or on a totally different street number.

The small claims court is only a few blocks away and I would like to know if I can just walk over there hand it back to the clerk of that room number where it was sent from.

Will I have to present my Id and sign up something? I don't really want to disclose my identity as i don't want to be involved in that dispute in any way shape or form.

But at the same time, I feel the plaintiff should be informed asap that his summons failed to reach the defendant before the court date which I assume is very near.

And while we thought a few times about returning it to the post office, we just kept on forgetting about it. We now think that it may not be returned to court system in time.

Any advice I can receive in regards to this matter will be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">