• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Now the bank expects me to pay the money.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chickinfrog

I live in New York. A friend of mine asked me to cash a check for $450. It was issued from another bank, but I never saw the check. When we went to the bank, he demanded that he punched in the numbers to the transaction (but not my PIN). He recieved his money and paid me $20 for my troubles. Two weeks later, I received a notice that my bank account was in the negatives. The check I had cashed for him turned out to be only worth $100. I had to use most of my tax refund to cover this negative balance. Upon asking him for the money back, my friend said he spent it all and is currently out of a job. Can I press charges against him and force a repo of his car to cover this expense?

stephenk

" A friend of mine asked me to cash a check for $450. It was issued from another bank, but I never saw the check. When we went to the bank, he demanded that he punched in the numbers to the transaction (but not my PIN)."

This is how a friend acts? Weren't you a bit suspicious?

Sure, go ahead and sue him in small claims court.

JETX

chickinfrog said:
Can I press charges against him
You can certainly contact the police and file a criminal complaint.... but based on your post, it would likely not do much.
Also, you can file a small claims action against him and try to prove your claims in court. If you succeed, you will get a judgment against him.... which you may never be able to collect.

and force a repo of his car to cover this expense?
If you get a judgment, you can use it to seize any non-exempt assets he has... and also garnish his wages when he does get a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">