• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Now how do I get my money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CarolH

What is the name of your state? Ohio

We recently won a case in small claims court. However, the defendant never paid the money he owed us. We ended up doing a bank attachment to where he had been banking previously. We received a notification that he doesn't have any money there now.

The court said that the next step is to do "an examination." I don't understand this process, and the court wasn't exactly helpful in explaining it. Basically, they told us that we would be in a room with the defendant and ask him questions about his assets. There might be a baliff in the room. I would sure hope there would be someone else in there as I know this guy isn't going to be exactly cooperative.

What questions should I ask?
What if he refuses to give us any information (which I could see him doing)?
How does any of this get enforced?

I'm frankly sick of paying for court fees for everything when it doesn't seem like anything is enforceable, and this guy is going to get off scott-free.:mad:

Thank you in advance for any advice you could give. This is exteremly frustrating.

stephenk

do a google search for "nolo press". It is a publishing company that puts out self-help legal books. Find the one on small claims or on enforcing judgments.

CarolH

Thank you

My library has that book. I've requested it, and hopefully will be able to get it soon. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">