• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obtaining owed money or title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t_b

What is the name of your state? MN
Here is my situation. My fiance and I have split up, actually he moved all my stuff to the garage and changed the locks on me, that how ever is another story. His truck was on it's last leg and he needed a new one, for work. He has bad credit and can't get loans or credit. I purchased the truck for about $3777. The title was put in both names because he was going to be the primary driver and carrying the insurance on the vehicle. We agreed that he would pay me $400 a month until it was paid off (this was may portion of the rent I was giving him) so basically I was getting to keep my rent money. However as I said before he kicked me out before the month was over and now doesn't have the money to make payments to me for the truck. I told him I expect $555 on the 1st of June for that months payment and the prorated amount for May. He told me he can't pay. He also is refusing to sign over the title so I can sell it. I need that money now that I was evicted to get a new place. He also is refusing to give me my $505. deposit on the apartment. What can I do?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

t_b said:
What is the name of your state? MN
Here is my situation. My fiancie and I have split up, actually he moved all my stuff to the garage and changed the locks on me, that how ever is another story. His truck was on it's last leg and he needed a new one, for work. He has bad credit and can't get loans or credit. I purchased the truck for about $3777. The title was put in both names because he was going to be the primary driver and carrying the insurance on the vehicle. We agreed that he would pay me $400 a month until it was paid (this was may portion of the rent I was giving him) so basically I was getting to keep my rent money. However as I said before he kicked me out before the month was over and now doesn't have the money to make payment to me for the truck. I told him I expect $555 on the 1st of June for that months payment and the prorated amount for May. He told me he can't pay. He also is refusing to sign over the title so I can sell it. I need that money now that I was evicted to get a new place. He also is refusing to give me my $505. deposit on the apartment. What can I do?
EXACTLY how is the title worded?

justalayman

seniorjudge said:
EXACTLY how is the title worded?
Come on SJ. You know it is "and". If it were "or" the boyfriend would have already taken the gals name off the title.

Looks like a trip down to the courhouse is in order. Let the judge split it up for you.

Doesn't mean you are going to get it, just means he legally owes it to you. Then you get to use whatever legal means available to you to recover the judgement.(if you win)

seniorjudge

justalayman said:
Come on SJ. You know it is "and". If it were "or" the boyfriend would have already taken the gals name off the title.

Looks like a trip down to the courhouse is in order. Let the judge split it up for you.

Doesn't mean you are going to get it, just means he legally owes it to you. Then you get to use whatever legal means available to you to recover the judgement.(if you win)

Oh well...I never give up hope!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">