• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

odometer miles don't match car facts after purchase vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Are less miles shown on the odometer than shows on the vehicle history reports from service providers like Carfax or Autocheck? If there is a big difference in the mileage, it could be auto fraud.

Did you want to provide more details?

adjusterjack

Any of those auto history reports can be woefully inaccurate when it comes to odometer readings because they rely on second and third hand information.

No question that OP should investigate but there might not be anything dastardly afoot.

quincy

Any of those auto history reports can be woefully inaccurate when it comes to odometer readings because they rely on second and third hand information.

No question that OP should investigate but there might not be anything dastardly afoot.
I agree that there may not be anything dastardly afoot and errors are not uncommon on auto history reports.

But, when differences in odometer readings are noted, the differences tend to be that the auto history reports show less miles than the odometer shows. This type of difference is generally not a worry. It only means that the reports that have been pulled are not current or updated.

When the miles shown on a history report are significantly higher than the odometer shows, however, that often indicates a roll-back of the odometer on a vehicle (i.e., auto fraud).

More details would be nice. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree that there may not be anything dastardly afoot and errors are not uncommon on auto history reports.

But, when differences in odometer readings are noted, the differences tend to be that the auto history reports show less miles than the odometer shows. This type of difference is generally not a worry. It only means that the reports that have been pulled are not current or updated.

When the miles shown on a history report are significantly higher than the odometer shows, however, that often indicates a roll-back of the odometer on a vehicle (i.e., auto fraud).

More details would be nice. :)
I had a vehicle that Carfax showed having 25,000 miles one year, 64,000 miles the next year and then 38,000 the next year. It's all a matter of "GIGO" (garbage in, garbage out).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">