• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old roomates wont give dog or property back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindseyh717

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new mexico

I moved out of someone's house i paid rent. but no legal papers were signed or anything like that, but i paid them rent when they said i had to. i moved out about two weeks ago and left some of my things they said i could leave there. and just today i went to go get my dog and my things and they decided to say i can't have any of it unless i pay them for what they believe i should owe them becuase they say i do. i have texts with them saying you can't have your dog until you pay me. what can i do to get my dog back? i dont care about my things but i do have important papers there, i mainly want my dog china is her name back i have had her 3 years shes slept with me every nite but they wont unless i pay them for things they say.

Hot Topic

If you care for China so much, you should have taken her with you. Same with your property. "They" were under no obligation to care for your dog and provide storage for your things until you got around to picking them up.

If you paid rent, you were a tenant, and you should have given them at least 30 days notice that you were moving.

You can take them to small claims court, but you'll probably run into problems with the fact that you were a tenant who didn't give proper notice that you were leaving and had the nerve to expect them to keep your possessions and dog until you were ready to get them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">