• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options for collecting a judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eap84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I won a small claims case against my ex-roommate for $465 in December, but I still haven't requested payment from him and he hasn't paid me. What's the protocol for collecting judgement?

Can I email him asking for my money or would I have to send a letter?

I'm not entirely comfortable giving him my new address, can I just ask him to send a check to a P.O. Box?

I believe he had 30 days to pay me, it's been about 90 days so far. Can I just bypass him altogether and have a court officer seize funds from his bank account?

Thanks

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I won a small claims case against my ex-roommate for $465 in December, but I still haven't requested payment from him and he hasn't paid me. What's the protocol for collecting judgement?

Can I email him asking for my money or would I have to send a letter?

I'm not entirely comfortable giving him my new address, can I just ask him to send a check to a P.O. Box?

I believe he had 30 days to pay me, it's been about 90 days so far. Can I just bypass him altogether and have a court officer seize funds from his bank account?

Thanks

Google is your friend
New York City Small Claims Court

eap84

Thanks for the link.

The link you gave me says to contact the debtor asking for payment before I take any other collection steps. But I don't see anything for *how* I should contact the debtor.

For instance, can I email him asking for my money, or do I need to send a letter via certified mail? Also can I have him send the money to a P.O. Box or does it have to be to my house? Like I said, I'm not comfortable giving him my address.

seniorjudge

Contact him in writing.

Send certified mail, return receipt requested.

Use a POB if you don't want him to know your physical address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">