• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other alternatives?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pinkgirliee

What is the name of your state? CA

In August 2005, my sister and bro-in-law had asked me to let them borrow $6000.00. So far, since this past August all they've paid me was $100. Now we're not on speaking terms and I know they're not going to attempt to pay up. What are my options or are there any suggestions on how I should approach them regarding this without having to go to court?

seniorjudge

Q: What are my options or are there any suggestions on how I should approach them regarding this without having to go to court?

A: Ask them, "When are you going to pay me?"

Betty

I agree with sr. judge - call and/or write them & ask when you might expect payment - if you would have to take them to court, you want to have something to show re your efforts to try to collect. I know it's hard to take relatives to court but if you want/need your money, you may end up having no choice. Did you have a written agreement/contract drawn up re the loan indicating amt., any interest to be paid, payment dates & possibly re any collateral/security? Did you have a lawyer involved in drafting of the agreement/contract to protect your interest? This would all help also if you went to court - you want the court to know it was a loan & not a gift. Sometimes loaning & getting loans from family members works out quite well - sometimes not - they can put personal relationships at risk & due to the "cozy" nature of such loans some people may be lackadaisical re repaying the money. Other than keep calling & writing them asking for your money I don't know much you can do w/o going to court if you don't get it. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">