• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Defendent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smallclaimct

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Hi,

I entered to sublet an appt with known person and he suppose to pay me 2500.

He relocated with promise to pay to TX and in hurry I was able to get only email confirmation about him to pay me money.

Now he never pick up my phone calls, I only know his wife address and phone number.

Called his wife and she threatened me to charge with harassment if I call again.

Please help on this. also how long does it take in small claims court?

smallclaimct

Also want to know

Can someone charge me for harassment for calling to tell them pay me back or convey message to her husband about paying me back.

curiousB

First, CT is the wrong jurisdicition. You've already lost that one, to file you need to go to Texas and file with the county small claims court where he lives.
Second, yes you can get in trouble for making phone calls when you've been told to stop. She's either unwilling to relay the message, or has and her husband isn't interested. Either way, stop calling because you've been told.
Third, the reality is with small claims (especially when the party being sued is out of state) the expense to actually pursue the matter outweighs any potential gain. In the future, get cash up front.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">