• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overdraft fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m42380

State of Texas.

I received over twenty overdraft fees from my bank. I did not notice my account was overdrafting. A week went by and I then realized what was going on. I was charged over 800 in overdraft fees. During this time I had called my bank to ask them a question. They did not mention my account being overdrawn over the phone. Furthermore, they upsold me on one of their products while my account was in the negative and did not bother to mention that the account was overdrawn. My account was overdrawn about three hundred and they made over 200% profit because of this. I took them to small claims to recover the overdraft fees or get part of the money back. When I tried to close my account they told me no. I went to make my account balance zero. The online balance told me I had 11.00 left after pending transactions. I pulled the 11 out and the next day realized I had been misinformed. I was overdrawn eight dollars and had another $70.00 charge on my hands. This is borderline raqueteering. :mad:

I dont have the court date yet. I was wondering if anyone had advice for me. I am most likely going to represent myself. I called the court and they responded to the claim I made. I am looking for advice on how to defend myself here.

JETX

I am looking for advice on how to defend myself here.
Sorry, but my opinion is you have NO case against the bank. You knew in advance that you can't spend THEIR money. You were the one who failed to manage your account. They did nothing wrong.
Your poor accounting habits are not their fault.

Antigone*

NSFs are completely avoidable

This issue can be completely resolved by the use of one simple tool. A check register.

Good luck suing your bank - it won't work.

The bank will use all its resources to recover their money. Good luck banking somewhere else as well. For you my friend, cash will be king. You will either be stuffing your cash in your mattress or be relegated to using one of those prepaid debit cards.

I have said it a million times and I will say it again. If your latte from Starbucks costs you 40 bucks... then you have no one but yourself to blame. You know, I say that darn thing enough around here that I think I might just add that line to my signature.

I thank you... and you bank thanks you for the fee revenue you have provided.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">