• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

owed Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thunderbutt

What is the name of your state?

I now live in WI, but it was done in Ohio.. Would I need to have to go to Ohio in order to file?

About 5/6 yrs ago I sold a laptop to a co-worker *big mistake*.. He owes me about $700. He was making pmts on it, then it got stolen... and He couldnt afford to make anymore pmts to me... But he kept saying he was going to pay me and never have.. This past Christmas he said he was going to pay me off with his taxes, But never did.. I didnt want to take legal action, but I know I will never see the money now that I moved to WI.

Do I still have a case, do I have to file in Ohio, and he recently moved to Dayton Ohio, but havnt heard from him.. Would you be able to find him to file?

Is there anyway I will get my money back, or do I just let it drop?

Thanks
Rebecca

cmorris

The statute of limitations on oral agreements for Ohio is 6 years.

Even if it is still within the statute of limitations, how would you prove he owes it to you?

And yes, you would have to go to Ohio to sue.

I suggest you just learn from this mistake.

stevek3

thunderbutt said:
What is the name of your state?

I now live in WI, but it was done in Ohio.. Would I need to have to go to Ohio in order to file?

About 5/6 yrs ago I sold a laptop to a co-worker *big mistake*.. He owes me about $700. He was making pmts on it, then it got stolen... and He couldnt afford to make anymore pmts to me... But he kept saying he was going to pay me and never have.. This past Christmas he said he was going to pay me off with his taxes, But never did.. I didnt want to take legal action, but I know I will never see the money now that I moved to WI.

Do I still have a case, do I have to file in Ohio, and he recently moved to Dayton Ohio, but havnt heard from him.. Would you be able to find him to file?

Is there anyway I will get my money back, or do I just let it drop?

Thanks
Rebecca
The guy probably wouldn't answer the complaint, so there shouldn't be any concern regarding the statute of limitations or any other defense. You'd get a judgment. So if you know where he's working, then it should be fairly straightforward. But I suspect he's a drifter and you're just wasting your time and court costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">