• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owing money as a co-applicant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ragdoll24

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?: Rhode Island (other person is in New Jersey)

I will try to make this as detailed as possible and I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

In 2000, my partner and I financed a vehicle together in Rhode Island, where we lived. We were co-applicants. We made payments for six months and then were unable to pay any longer. At that time, the car was repossessed. We didn't think about it any longer and went on about our lives. In 2002 we ended our relationship.

Today I received an email from my ex stating that *two* years ago she was contacted by the finance company and forced to pay $6000 for the repossessed vehicle or face court. She is now telling me that if I do not pay her $3000 of that money that she paid two years ago, she will take me to small claims court.

Morally, I understand I should pay towards it. Legally, I am wondering if she has a case that would stand up in court. We were co-applicants, so we both agreed that it would be paid. She claims she emailed me 2 years ago and that I ignored her. I never received any of these emails. In addition, I was never contacted by creditors and threatened with legal action. I find it interesting that they were able to find her all the way down in New Jersey, but not me. I never had a written contract with her, I never told her after the car was repossessed that I would pay for what was owed. She had no intention of paying it herself. Do I owe her anything?

If she does attempt to take me to court, would it be here in RI, where the car was purchased and where I live, or in New Jersey, where she currently resides?

Thanks again for your help.

S

seniorjudge

ragdoll24 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?: Rhode Island (other person is in New Jersey)

I will try to make this as detailed as possible and I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

In 2000, my partner and I financed a vehicle together in Rhode Island, where we lived. We were co-applicants. We made payments for six months and then were unable to pay any longer. At that time, the car was repossessed. We didn't think about it any longer and went on about our lives. In 2002 we ended our relationship.

Today I received an email from my ex stating that *two* years ago she was contacted by the finance company and forced to pay $6000 for the repossessed vehicle or face court. She is now telling me that if I do not pay her $3000 of that money that she paid two years ago, she will take me to small claims court.

Morally, I understand I should pay towards it. Legally, I am wondering if she has a case that would stand up in court. We were co-applicants, so we both agreed that it would be paid. She claims she emailed me 2 years ago and that I ignored her. I never received any of these emails. In addition, I was never contacted by creditors and threatened with legal action. I find it interesting that they were able to find her all the way down in New Jersey, but not me. I never had a written contract with her, I never told her after the car was repossessed that I would pay for what was owed. She had no intention of paying it herself. Do I owe her anything?

If she does attempt to take me to court, would it be here in RI, where the car was purchased and where I live, or in New Jersey, where she currently resides?

Thanks again for your help.
Q: Do I owe her anything?

A: If you all had an agreement that you would pay, then the answer is yes. I am assuming you signed the note also.

Q: If she does attempt to take me to court, would it be here in RI, where the car was purchased and where I live, or in New Jersey, where she currently resides?

A: It would be either where the contract between y'all or where she can find you. Both of those places appear to be RI.

ragdoll24

I did sign the note, after all I was the co-applicant. The agreement I made was to the creditor. Not to my ex. I paid for six months, and after the car was repossessed, she and I never made any sort of agreement for paying what we owed. Honestly, we forgot about it. So I could see the creditor taking legal action against me, but they didn't come after me. They went after her. I had no idea they were even looking. I'm not sure of any of that makes a difference.

But the fact that she would have to do it RI most likey makes things much easier on me, thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">