• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owing a one-time friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ok3388

What is the name of your state? GA

My friend and I began living together in December 2005. At which time she borrowed my digital camera, which my parents gave to me as a gift 8 months prior. She lost my camera at that time, but always promised to replace it. Then in Mar 2006, I was wearing her pearls and they broke, after which time I said I would fix them. However I did loose them. My roommate moved to DC in November 2006, but we corresponded by email a few times about me owing her the pearls. I questioned her appraisal of the pearls, especially since she admitted they were a gift from a Jeweler.

Then yesterday I received a letter from a law office from Mississippi (where she is from, probably a friend of the family) that said she "retained them to resolve this matter." the letter went on to say "Since you knowingly took possession of the pearls, you accept the responsibility for their safekeeping. Under law you are responsible to pay the fair market value of the pearls. I am enclosing the invoice in which the pearls were purchase at the price of $3,024. Our client is very serious about obtaining reimbursement since the pearls were an expensive item of jewelry." The letter the states I am requested to pay half of the pearls market price or $1,400 which represents a fair market value. I am so upset that she resorted to this, especially since she just asked me for them a couple months ago, where I never once threw in her face the camera.

Is there anything she or the lawyers do? Is there anything she can do to me legally? Can she take me to court, and if so what would happen? Should I have a lawyer write back a letter. I am mad at this point so i don't want to make a split with her on the camera and pearls. I just want to make sure she can't take me to court--and if she does, would she have legal grounds?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
ok3388 said:
What is the name of your state? GA

My friend and I began living together in December 2005. At which time she borrowed my digital camera, which my parents gave to me as a gift 8 months prior. She lost my camera at that time, but always promised to replace it. Then in Mar 2006, I was wearing her pearls and they broke, after which time I said I would fix them. However I did loose them. My roommate moved to DC in November 2006, but we corresponded by email a few times about me owing her the pearls. I questioned her appraisal of the pearls, especially since she admitted they were a gift from a Jeweler.

Then yesterday I received a letter from a law office from Mississippi (where she is from, probably a friend of the family) that said she "retained them to resolve this matter." the letter went on to say "Since you knowingly took possession of the pearls, you accept the responsibility for their safekeeping. Under law you are responsible to pay the fair market value of the pearls. I am enclosing the invoice in which the pearls were purchase at the price of $3,024. Our client is very serious about obtaining reimbursement since the pearls were an expensive item of jewelry." The letter the states I am requested to pay half of the pearls market price or $1,400 which represents a fair market value. I am so upset that she resorted to this, especially since she just asked me for them a couple months ago, where I never once threw in her face the camera.

Is there anything she or the lawyers do?
What is your question?

ok3388

my question

Sorry, i am alittle upset and rambley...

my questions, is whetehr or not there is anything she can do to me legally? Can she take me to court, and if so what would happen. Should I have a lawyer write back a letter. I am mad at this point so i don't want to make a split with her on the camera and pearls, so i want to make sure she can't take me to court--and if she does, would she have legal grounds?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
ok3388 said:
Sorry, i am alittle upset and rambley...

my questions, is whetehr or not there is anything she can do to me legally? Can she take me to court, and if so what would happen. Should I have a lawyer write back a letter. I am mad at this point so i don't want to make a split with her on the camera and pearls, so i want to make sure she can't take me to court--and if she does, would she have legal grounds?
Well, since you admit you had the pearls and lost them, it seems to me that she has good legal grounds.
Of course, issues of jurisdiction and counter-suits do come in to play.
In any case, she CAN take you to court, but it would be small-claims court, which doesn't involve lawyers.

BL

according to this site , Attorneys are allowed .

Since you have admitted borrowing them, it was your duty to take reasonable care of the pearls .

You could counter sue for the worth of the camera , hope it's accepted , and amount awarded to offset some of the cost .

Make sure you look at that invoice for the pearls to make sure it's an original , and not just one recently made up .

ok3388

Blonde Lebinese said:
according to this site , Attorneys are allowed .

Since you have admitted borrowing them, it was your duty to take reasonable care of the pearls .

You could counter sue for the worth of the camera , hope it's accepted , and amount awarded to offset some of the cost .

Make sure you look at that invoice for the pearls to make sure it's an original , and not just one recently made up .
About this reply. I know the invoice was infact recently made up by the jewler who gifted my friend the pearls. Does that make it void? In both emails and over the phone she said this is what my jewler friend said they are worth, but since she is a jewler i'll only charge you half....

BL

The Judge will have to decide what's fair and just .

If the Jeweler is a Friend , the Judge should be made aware of that fact , and the fact the invoice was recently made up .

The Judge may not buy the amount , therefor .

You should request at least 2 independent appraisals of what the pearls are worth today .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">